Author Topic: Ancestry Hints which have no relation to the person they are giving the hint for  (Read 911 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lately I have been getting hints from Ancestry that seem to have no relationship at all to the person they are giving the hint for and the hint is not even the right surname.

I am tracing a John Emmanuel Griffin born 1827 Brede Sussex.  He married Sarah Gustell of Brede 30 May 1847 in Brede and they had many children and spent the rest of their life together in Sussex

Ancestry gives me the following hint for him 3 times and this is not the only person they have given hints that seem to have relationship at all.  I have ticked on the area where you say why you did not accept the hint and have done it on many occasions with different people in my tree.

England, Select Marriages, 1538-1973
Birth, Marriage & Death
Name   John Wadsworth   
Birth   1823   
Marriage   15 Apr 1857 Saint Michael, Stone, Stafford, England   New
Residence   Stone, Staffordshire, England   New
Spouse   Sarah Morris   
Father   John Wadsworth   

Does anyone else get clues that are not even the name of the person you get them under as John Wadsworth of Stone Staffordshire has no relationship at all to John Emmanuel Griffin of Brede Sussex and no relationship to anyone on my tree.

Jim

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Hints which have no relation to the person they are giving the hint for
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 24 15:59 BST (UK) »

Does anyone else get clues that are not even the name of the person you get them under as John Wadsworth of Stone Staffordshire has no relationship at all to John Emmanuel Griffin of Brede Sussex and no relationship to anyone on my tree.

Jim

Frequently  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Hints which have no relation to the person they are giving the hint for
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 24 16:42 BST (UK) »
I also get unrelated hints. I don't waste my time with hints unless I have particularly difficult problem I'm trying to solve.

Martin

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 24 17:28 BST (UK) »
It has been happening for years.

Most of mine relate are people in the damn US of A who just happen to have the same name as one of my mainly British Isles Family Tree members.

It really annoys me when Searching and “UK & Ireland” is selected yet the search results are mainly people who are resident in that damn US of A again.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 24 17:36 BST (UK) »

Most of mine relate are people in the damn US of A who just happen to have the same name as one of my mainly British Isles Family Tree members.

It really annoys me when Searching and “UK & Ireland” is selected yet the search results are mainly people who are resident in that damn US of A again.

Because everyone knows that the Brits all escaped if they could!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 24 18:34 BST (UK) »

Yes - one or two hits of information that I know and have recorded. Then pages and pages of people who are total strangers. Yesterday they served up 10 people who were from Eastern Europe. In fact, so far east that one more step would have taken them into Asia. All with names that had letters that are not on my keyboard. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 24 18:39 BST (UK) »

Yes - one or two hits of information that I know and have recorded. Then pages and pages of people who are total strangers. Yesterday they served up 10 people who were from Eastern Europe. In fact, so far east that one more step would have taken them into Asia. All with names that had letters that are not on my keyboard. 

Regards 

Chas

Didn't you get the memo about diversity and inclusion?  ;)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 24 18:40 BST (UK) »
All the time and this has been going on for years now. I even look at my Ancestry tree and look at an individual ancestor and get "Potential parents" for documented ancestors, and they are usually wrong. Or get an 1851 census suggestion for someone who died in 1797.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 24 18:49 BST (UK) »
"people in the damn US of A "

I'm not sure why the United States should be repeatedly damned by you for having people with the same name as some of your British relatives.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis