Author Topic: Mystery Match - Pointers Please  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Match - Pointers Please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 May 24 10:55 BST (UK) »

A bit of a catch-up and something that got me thinking...

This thread began about a mystery match and then introduced the question of paternity relating to my great grandfather.  It's likely that the two are connected, at least the answer to the mystery match will probably be found in the family of the other.  They are that kind of family - beer, fighting and women seemed to be their favourite thing. 

I've poured over the matches trying to make connections and so far I've failed.  Tree holders with  'my' family in them have tended to be unrelated themselves so no use for DNA testing.  Those that are most likely to hold the key aren't responding so I'm stumped.  For now - I know it's a waiting game.  However, while sorting through other stuff I came across the  DNA match that cropped up last year which seemed to answer the parentage question.  Thrulines suggested a sub10cM match with someone who shared a 3xgreatgrandmother on that particular branch.  I checked the matches links and it ticked the boxes.  I was delighted.  DNA proof to connect my greatgrandfather with paternal ancestors. Yay!

However, recently I found I'd made an error in attributing that shared individual to my tree.  I've checked again and I was definitely wrong.  The DNA match doesn't stand, the proof isn't proof at all.  My mistake. So I altered my Ancestry tree accordingly. Interestingly Thrulines hasn't updated itself- did I think it would?  Probably not.  As a slow adopter of this side of FH research I've tended to rely on the matching of trees to confirm connections - clearly that's not enough proof when a particular question needs answering.  It looks like I need to tackle the science too, assuming I can find someone willing to share their test results, of course. 
Davison - London
South - London, Hampshire
Sharp(e) - Hertfordshire, Suffolk
Lee - Ireland
Summerfield - London, Buckinghamshire
Bickers - London, Norfolk, Suffolk
Guiver - London, Hertfordshire, Essex, Cambridgeshire
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 May 24 11:36 BST (UK) »
I'm in the process of solving a similar mystery for someone

One surname keeps cropping up and I've gone back to the common ancestors 1809

Now to get closer to the top match I'm putting in a name search for wives and mothers . Some surnames come up as being on their tree others don't
For example they don't have surname of 1809 s wife ... probably not gone back that far but do have his grandsons wife's surname
Sometimes a more distant match will have a large tree so surnames will occur randomly but I think I've pinpointed the person who is tbeir common ancestors by the fact that they have not included surnames of spouses of siblings but have spouses of CAs children   

There is a connection to In laws which shouldn't exist by going thru paper trail . I've started a post + will show my workings with exact examples
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 May 24 18:32 BST (UK) »
Those that are most likely to hold the key aren't responding so I'm stumped. For now - I know it's a waiting game. 

It's always worth looking at the Ancestry member's last sign-in activity. Obviously some people don't renew their subscriptions. So you might have some members who haven't logged-on in a year or so.

When I had a current sub I usually received Ancestry message alerts via email. I don't know for certain, but maybe Ancestry no longer notifies former members without a subscription.
All I know is I haven't had a message notification via email in several years. Yet when I log into my Ancestry account I'll see the occasional message from other members. Having said that, I rarely log into Ancestry these days. During the last two years I've PM'd a few Ancestry members who I have a DNA match with, but they never respond. Maybe they aren't bothered, or maybe they haven't logged-on to Ancestry in ages.

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 May 24 18:40 BST (UK) »
You've hit the nail on the head!  Of the few I would dearly love to contact most haven't been on the site in over 11 months so I doubt they'll pick up any notification.

One-that-got-away comes under that category (I know he is a direct connection but when I did contact him in 2022 he hadn't taken a test and I didn't push him - I could kick myself!)  Now, if I try to contact him via Ancestry they root out our archived conversation but won't let me message. Annoyingly I know no other way of contacting him :'( 
Davison - London
Lee - Ireland
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 May 24 21:11 BST (UK) »
It feels like Ancestry is preventing member contact, if subscriptions haven't been renewed.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 18 May 24 21:47 BST (UK) »
One recent match has removed themselves from ancestry DNA results and all luckily we.d messaged and shared emails so I can still put her in touch with her new cousin/half sister if she wants .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 May 24 15:42 BST (UK) »

Another update which might be the last and a quick question - thanks for all the help, it's been very useful!

Update -  I believe the two parts of this thread are linked to the same family and probably the same chap.  The pennies just keep dropping and my lovely tree is losing it's leaves, not to mention the 'trauma' of discovering the relatives aren't quite who I thought they were!  Oh, the joys of family history ;D

Anyway, a quick Ancestry tree editing question - my subs have expired and I want to take a short break but I can still add individuals to the public tree but can't delete people - is that saved for people who have paid their subs?  Or am I doing it wrong?  I want to unlink a father and son but not lose either individual.  Do I need to wait until I've paid up?

Thank you.
Davison - London
Lee - Ireland
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 24 May 24 16:05 BST (UK) »
On a computer - To unlink someone from your Ancestry tree (but not delete them from the tree) go to the profile page of the person you want to unlink.
On the right top, choose the Edit button and click the arrow on it, it will bring up a small option menu.
Choose Edit relationships.
You can change relationships to 'adopted' 'biological' etc, but to unlink them from being connected to the person just click the cross by the side of the name of the person you wish to disconnect from them.
Then click the blue 'Remove' button.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 24 May 24 16:08 BST (UK) »
I would leave the tree as is.

What I would normally suggest to those who are about to let their Subscription lapse is to create and download a Gedcom file.

Plus I often suggest buying software like Roots Magic which is only £45, creating a new project and downloading a copy of the Ancestry tree into the software where you would then have a fully copy of the tree complete with copies of all media, citations etc.