Author Topic: Understanding WY electoral registers  (Read 147 times)

Offline JackYorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding WY electoral registers
« on: Saturday 27 April 24 19:32 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to understand what the fourth column means (Street, Lane or...) could anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding WY electoral registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 24 19:53 BST (UK) »
What date is this?  I am not conversant with the legislation, but prior to the first world war registers are divided into various sections for people who were qualified to vote in local elections for different reasons (including women who were householders).  Property ownership or tenants paying rents above a certain value were one of the considerations.  It appears the second column is the voter's home address and the fourth column the address of the qualifying property.  There were also votes attached to business premises, which were not abolished until after the second world war I think.

Offline JackYorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 24 10:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry Molly, I've been looking for this, but it's gone missing in my various strands of research. When I find it again, I'll come back to you with the date.

Thank you for your help though. It's very useful to know though that the property is probably one they owned and that's why they were able to vote.

Thanks again!

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 24 10:37 BST (UK) »
I only asked the date because it appeared to be the format of a pre-1920 register, not later.

I will also say that this register set is named by Ancestry as "West Yorkshire" which is completely incorrect.  The parts are all headed West RIDING of Yorkshire.  Ancestry has obtained them from West Yorkshire Archives, which is located in the former West Riding county town of Wakefield, so they had inherited the West Riding County Council collections.  These cover a much larger area than West Yorkshire, parts are now in five other counties.  However the set does not include the borough constituencies which were not the responsiblity of the West Riding County Council.