Author Topic: Family Mix Up between Winds, Winns and Spriggs  (Read 281 times)

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Family Mix Up between Winds, Winns and Spriggs
« on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, I posted asking about one of these families earlier, but it has gotten stranger. I thought I had two separate Winn/Wind and Sprigg families, but I am now thinking they may be inter-related.
There is a George Winn married to a Mary Ann Sprig in 1824 Newcastle upon Tyne. Mary does not seem to have a baptism record at this point. There is then a Henry Wind married to an Elizabeth Sprigg in 1827, Chester Le Street. Elizabeth was the daughter to a Priscilla (Craig) Sprigg (married to a Henry Sprigg 1797 in Alnwick. She also has a son John Craig Sprigg. At this point there does not seem to be a third child to Priscilla (Mary Ann). The birth record for Elizabeth hints at either Henry Spriggs dying or absconding as the birth record says "Mrs Sprigg" but as a single mother.

But here it gets even more interesting. On Mary Anns wedding to George Winn, we have on the record, George WINN marriage to Mary Ann Sprigg, First witness William Hindmarch, Second witness Priscilla Spriggs Edwd Scott.  Now it could be a coincidence, BUT, I am really leaning towards a joint family somehow.  Either Mary Ann Sprigg is an "unrecorded" birth or in a county further away, OR maybe Priscilla took care of her and Mary Ann "adopted" her "mothers" name of Sprigg, or its a different Sprigg family.  I cannot find any links, no matter how I cross check Mary Anns in Northumberland or anywhere or a "mother" names Priscilla.

Am I reaching too far?, or am I missing a vital clue.
I have placed George Winn in a separate lineage for the time being, but I think he may be somehow connected to the other Wind Lines, the names are often interchanged. On Durhamrecordsonline there are four Georges marriages but only three in the timeframe that appear to show they are separate people/families.:
Gateshead    1817    George    Wind Mary Coates    
Newcastle    1820    George    Wind Hannah Galley   
Newcastle    1824    George    Winn Mary Ann Spriggs   Witness Priscilla Sprigg
Chester-le-Street 1832    George    Wind Jane Lonsedale
Chester-le-Street 1827    Henry    Wind Elizabeth Sprigg (Dau Priscilla (Craig) Sprigg)

1  I am not sure of Georges parents, to link him would be great
2  Is this a Winn/Sprigg coincidence or an actual wider family?
3  Is Priscilla the mother of both Mary and Elizabeth?

Thanks so much for any thoughts. While it does not solve my Wind brickwall, it may link up a couple of families.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family Mix Up between Winds, Winns and Spriggs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 24 10:49 BST (UK) »
Another weird coincidence, maybe. One of the witnesses to Mary Ann "Spriggs" is William Hindmarch. Now, I just found a Mary Ann Hindmarch, born 1799, in Alnwick Northumberland to a father John Hindmarch. So the plot thickens, Why were both William Hindmarch and Priscilla Spriggs (of Alnwick) attend as witnesses at Mary Anns wedding. I guess the simple reason is they knew each other. But, I am starting to think that these families are linked. Maybe Mary Ann Hindmarch was looked after by Priscilla and MA adopted her surname for some reason. I just don't see a MA Spriggs that fits by any other means, yet.

However, I am a bit concerned that I am clutching at straws trying to link Priscilla, Spriggs, Winns and Hindmarch's.

EDIT 1
So, a John Hall Hindmarsh marries a Sarah Marshall in 1804 in Alnwick, BOTH were minors. The first recorded children start at 1809 well after 1804. Could this couple have had a child and the reason for the early marriage?
Edit 2
Now, another John Hindmarsh married to a Jane Carmichel or Dixon of Ellingham in 1790, had a child Mary Ann Hindmarch born 1801 in Alnwick. This actually may be the missing Mary Ann.... and may partly link the Hindmarch/Spriggs I see as witnesses. I still don't see a family link though.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 24 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
The Winns /Winds again I see
Looking at George the census gives various birthplaces c 1801 in Durham.
The 1871 gives Chowdon and there is a baptism that matches,

George Wind born 4th July 1800 bapt 5th Oct 1800 s of William and Jane pitman of Chowdon in Lamesley.
The census was taken mar/April so he's the right age and born in the right place.

Looks like William married Jane Clark at Lamesley 26.5.1787
And a birth for William about 1762 burial 26.5.1817 of Washington but at Lamesley.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 24 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker, yes, still at these mixed-up Winds, one day I may crack the case!
BTW, sorry to hear that Heineken is pulling up acres of apple trees that were for cider.

OK, I think you may be convincing me that George "Winn" is the son of William and Jane Clark, I have him already on Wikitree as a Wind. And yes, he does seem to match. The census shows Henry (son) born 1833 that also fits with Henry Spriggs Wind/Winn. I believe I can reliably converge my two profiles. The dates and places do mostly match. There are a couple of "ifs" but it does seem to mesh.
Not only that, but he actually ends up in my lineage!!  His father William is the son of my brickwall William circa 1735 of Lamesley. It also does mean the Spriggs are connected. I cannot yet unravel the Spriggs, but that is a lesser tho frustrating case.
Thanks again for your impartial view that brings things into focus, I sometimes get too close to the problem.

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 09:26 BST (UK) »
A breakthrough. There are two George Winds, one of Lamesley, the other Gateshead and they are related. Their grandfather was my William Wind 1735 brickwall. The Georges make it more confusing as their kids had the same names!
One George is linked to a Spriggs through marriage and somehow that spriggs is related to the mystery Priscilla. No joy there yet but slowly unravelling the Winds.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 24 08:04 BST (UK) »
is this George born Chowdene,Gateshead 29th July 1797 ?????

https://gw.geneanet.org/lynnterry?n=wind&oc=&p=george

added says his grandfather was William Wind born 27th june 1731 Lumley,Durham and died January 1770 aged 38 in Lamesly - so is it one of your clan ?
AND - I LOVE RESEARCH -Williams dad was William Wind and his mum was MARY COXON - how bizarre - my 3 x G Grandmother was a Mary Coxon from Cheshire ...lol
     .   https://gw.geneanet.org/lynnterry?lang=en&pz=lynn&nz=terry&p=william&n=wind&oc=3

just noticed Mary Coates in the tree - so is it  your clan ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 24 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi garsonite, yes that is George of 1797, but the geneanet tree is incorrect. Genorge of 1797 sits on the William 1735 tree.
It has the tree conflated, mixing the two William Winds (Lumley and Lamesley) Each were born 1731 and about 1735. This is the Lumley and Cow Close mix-up.
BTW, in my last post I said that the two georges had kids of similar names, I was wrong, They all sit under one George, it was extremely confusing and I found a transcription error for one child. She was names Mary Ann on on and Mary Jane on the other (same date and similar location).