Author Topic: Scottish marriages conundrum!  (Read 512 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish marriages conundrum!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 24 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I've got the 1911 census entry and I also have Annie's birth register entry for Lucknow in India - father was a soldier.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 April 24 08:35 BST (UK) »
i would have thought you will have paid for the full entry as well as the corrected entry, BB. So if you go back into SP you should be able to access it.

Just one or two other things I have found.

1. A free search on SP shows the Schulmans were still in Aberdeen in the 1911 . As well as David and Annie there is a 5 year old Eva Barrett Schulman. ( Unable to find a birth for Eva).

2. There is an article in the Lancashire Evening Post 6 April 1921 about an Annie Shulman of 83 Chorlton Road, Manchester who was charged at Manchester County Police Court with pretending to tell fortunes. The defendant called herself Madame Barrett.

3.Worth finding Annie in the 1921 census as Annie Johnson and the daughter with her. Ancestry trees have a daughter born in 1910 for her- census evidence from 1911 and 1921 suggest she was somewhat older!

It is certainly an intriguing situation you have found, BB.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 April 24 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that - I have now down-loaded the full version.   :-*

I do have the 1911 entry for David, Annie plus two children.  Eva is another mystery  :o  but very, very interesting. 

Again, thank you for your help.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 April 24 10:10 BST (UK) »
This rang some bells with me regarding madame Barrett fortune teller

Doesn't help with marriage conundrum but have you seen this long post and connected ones

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784207.0

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 April 24 12:29 BST (UK) »
Just one or two other things I have found.

1. A free search on SP shows the Schulmans were still in Aberdeen in the 1911 . As well as David and Annie there is a 5 year old Eva Barrett Schulman. ( Unable to find a birth for Eva).

2. There is an article in the Lancashire Evening Post 6 April 1921 about an Annie Shulman of 83 Chorlton Road, Manchester who was charged at Manchester County Police Court with pretending to tell fortunes. The defendant called herself Madame Barrett.

May I suggest that the 17 page thread to which Bridget has linked is read thoroughly before doing any more investigations about Annie. Both the 1911 census and the newspaper article you mention have already been noted there.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 April 24 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I was part of the 17 page thread from quite early on.  I have been helping with aspects of the family conundrums for a considerable period,  Annie was definitely a "character" and thinking about it, I'm not sure that divorce would have entered her head!

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tigerone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 May 24 09:53 BST (UK) »
Annie O'Brien was born in Lucknow India 1878, Her father was a serving soldier based there.
She married John O'Pray in 1898 & had a total of 4 children together, Edward born 1899, John born 1900 also twins Margaret & Thomas born 17/6/1901, all 4 died in 1901, John on 15th April, Edward on 1st May, Margaret on 2nd July, Thomas on 4th July, John & Edward died from measles while the twins died from Congenital Debility.
In 1905 Annie was living at 77 Sandyfauld St Glasgow & using her maiden name, so it's safe to assume she seperated from John O'Pray & possibly divorced before 1908 when she married David Schulman, David was Jewish but changed to Roman Catholic so he could get married in a Church.
As mentioned here before, she was quite a character, not once but 3 times she was in court for fortune telling, two of those times were in Manchester where she moved to, David died in March 1921 & she married a third time a month later, she died in Hyde on 1/4/1937 & buried in Hyde Cemetery