Author Topic: Banhadla Ucha  (Read 137 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banhadla Ucha
« on: Sunday 28 April 24 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, We have ancestors (Lewis Morris, baptised 1782 Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr and buried at Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr in 1867, and his family). He and his family are shown as living in Banhadla Ucha in the 1841 and 1851 census. My problem is that I cannot find a single census record for anyone living in Banhadla Ucha in 1861 let alone Lewis Morris. There are records for Banhadla Isa and Banhadla Township but not for Ucha.

Does anyone know of a reason for that please? Was Banhadla Ucha abandoned or subsumed into another area? I know that Lewis Morris died in 1867 and his wife Catherine in 1869 so they should both be in the 1861 census. The only Lewis Morris of about that age is recorded in Noddfa, Machynlleth. I am sure that this is not our Lewis Morris.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Banhadla Ucha
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 24 20:04 BST (UK) »

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 24 20:19 BST (UK) »
A sighting from 1862:

There is an item in the 15 November 1862 edition of the Wellington Journal announcing the intention to obtain the necessary Act of Parliament to build the Oswestry and Lllangynog Railway. The railway is projected to pass "from, in, through, or into the several parishes, townships, extra-parochial, and other places following..."

The list of places includes Banhadla, Banhadla-issa, Banhadla-ucha and Banhadla Hamlet.

This is the only item that I found at BNA with a search for "Banhadla-ucha".
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 April 24 20:39 BST (UK) »
there are many pieces missing from the 1861 census including this one

4265   Montgomeryshire Llanfyllin   Llanrhaiade (3)   Llanarmonmynyddmawr (Denbighshire)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 24 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. That was all interesting information. At least I have the consolation that Lewis Morris was still living at the same farm as in 1851 when he died according to the Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr burial register but it would have been nice to know if anyone else was living with Lewis and Catherine in 1861. C'est la vie.