Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 5th May 2024  (Read 2128 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 5th May 2024
« on: Monday 29 April 24 07:07 BST (UK) »
Morning folks,  new week, doesn't time fly.

I have a busy week coming up, got visitors next weekend to stay, not had anyone stay for well over 12 years or so, I feel I am out of the habit, the cousin is a very good cook, I don't feel I am at all,   thinking cap on, they might want to go out so I would have to do something I can leave in the oven,

We do have  the sun out this morning after having  a few wet days, if the washing can go out I am a happy bunny.

Hope everyone who was a little down last week will feel better this coming week, a few days of reasonable weather would be nice to perk us all up.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 5th May 2024
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 13:56 BST (UK) »
We have summer here today.  :) Unfortunately it's only forecast to last one day but after the long day of continual downpours on Sunday I'm grateful for any sunshine!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 15:45 BST (UK) »
Enjoying the sunshine today
Went to pick up new glasses....seeing the world more clearly
Ditched the varifocals . So life is simpler too .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
Lovely sunny day here in the North East but a cold Northerly breeze

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 16:21 BST (UK) »
Beautifully sunny day here today… even put my shorts on … not done that since last week when we were in Turkey!

It would be sooooo nice if the weather started to be a little warmer more often and NO MORE RAIN!

Happy days everyone, enjoy it while we can!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 17:31 BST (UK) »
Lovely day here today ,loads of washing done and not all needing ironing .

Son back from down South,a curry ready for tea.

Off to see my late husband’s younger sister ,she is is one year younger than I am.We always got on.
Her Birthday May6th as was their father’s, she was the best Birthday present ever he used to say .
Just four days before my husband’s Birthday our daughter arrived so she was his special Birthday present.

Well May 1st on Wednesday,in days of yore —- we little girls would make a Maypole out of a broom handle or the clothesline prop, using crepe paper for ribbons and flowers,dressed in whatever we could lay out hands on and again many “ dresses “ were of crepe paper.

We would go round the near  neighbourhood ,knock on doors and sing
“ Around this merry Maypole
On the first of May
See pretty ( name of girl chosen to be our May Queen )
Crowned The Queen  of May,
Roses are red
Violets blue ,
If you haven’t got a penny
AHalfpenny will do.
If you haven’t got that -
Well God bless you.”

We usually got a few coppers which we used to buy a bottle of lemonade and some crisps.
Had a party on the bowling green pavilion steps then a “concert “,they were like a stage .
The “ Cocky Farmer “(Greens man and general gardener ) was very tolerant .
Such simple pleasures .

The Gas Works Heavy Shire horses paraded ,all the brasses and ribbons, tails  and manes plaited with ribbons and massive hooves all shiny if they were black. The fetlocks whitened if that was the natural  colour , brasses all polished ,bells  on their necks and on the big collars on a frame jingling.
Milk float horses,  brewers’ dray horses, L.N.E,R.Railway horses,as well were all decorated and on parade.

It was lovely ,a very special day.

Off to see my sister in law tomorrow, with last Christmas ‘ presents ——
We see very little if each other I an sorry to say , she cared for their mother lovingly ,Grandma would not let anyone else do it so for 14 years no breaks ,no holidays ,no social life at all.
Grandma lived to 105.

Phew!

Gorgeous day today, my mouth is fine now, had a check up again yesterday to make sure .
Thanks fir your kind wishes.
Well cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 11:25 BST (UK) »
Covid booster injections today for us both and a review for me, which involved the taking of blood and blood pressure, plus various questions about my "lifestyle" and jumping on the scales to be weighed, having taken off my shoes and anything else that might add to my weight.  This is an annual review for older patients with an underlying health problem (high blood pressure in my case, though the GP has recently lowered my dosage, I'm pleased to say).

Yesterday was such a poor day - rain, wind and low temperatures - that the thatchers who are working on our neighbour's roof gave up and went home at lunch time.  Where is that sun?  When will it get warmer?  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 11:28 BST (UK) »
We had glorious weather yesterday. :)  I was travelling on the metro and then the driver announced that we would have to drive slow as a report of someone walking on the line had been made.  Thankfully, we did not come across them so hopefully they did move off the line.  It was lovely cruising along though, watching the seagulls against the bright blue sky and glimpsing vivid blue sea on the horizon and the butterflies flit, and spotting bluebells at the side of the track.
Dull and cold today though.

I hope your DiL got a good result as hoping for yesterday Viktoria?  Not good that she would have had to wait until November if she had not paid to get the mole checked out herself.   I think she was very sensible – money well spent.  I do hope it all went well.

Well done Gillg in getting your bp med reduced - that is marvelous! :)  I hope the same might happen for me one day but I am not going to get my hopes up.

I’ll be off to see SiL soon.  By the way, she did get her hip op done much earlier than original date.  Things went swimmingly and she got very good care.  Out within 24 hours.  Now she feels heaps better and is just waiting for op on other hip.  I hope it goes as well as the first.  I am sure it will.  I have told her that I want to see her chuck her crutches in the air like the actor David Jason did.  I’ll take the photo for posterity. ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 12:03 BST (UK) »
My get well wishes to all those under the weather, lots of strange things going around.

I met a friend yesterday, was quite a nice day, lunch and a chat suits me.

My covid jab is on 11th, stupidly we couldn't get the same time, not sure if they will  be kind to my husband and let him in with me, an hours difference, no shops to mooch around either.

Viktoria, you have  such interesting tales to tell,  they make me laugh.

It looks like a nice day but there is a black cloud looming,  so got everything crossed it stays dry.

I have visitors this weekend, not had anyone to stay for something like 10 years, getting a bit panicky to be honest, what to cook, she is a wonderful cook, I certainly am not but we won't starve.

Take care.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London