Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 5th May 2024  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 5th May 2024
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 21:18 BST (UK) »
Good news, the mole was benign, so I feel much better ,for my daughter in law and eldest son her husband .
Phew!
She is not a fuss pot and we have never had a cross word .
I am very grateful all is well for her.

Visiting my husband’s sister tomorrow ,she is the last of their happy family.
Christmas presents to be given and her B/ day on May 6 th , as I have mentioned .
She was my bridesmaid ,the other was stuck in The Isle of Man,heavy storms so no sailing .
She was a college friend .

Well , kitchen is sorted,milky coffee when son comes in from next door and then bed.
I want to wash my hair tomorrow morning before going to sister in law,It needs cutting ,appointment next week .

Look after yourselves folks. Thanks for good wishes , I hope all are as well as can be expected and that there is improvement .

Lovely day ,a bit of rain this evening.
Had to wash out the bird water container, It was filthy ,I think they have been dunking the stale brown bread I put out!

Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 May 24 01:29 BST (UK) »
Lovely weather of blue skies and sunshine here too.  I didn't notice any rain but son came in from weeding the garden yesterday to say that he experienced a cloud burst over part of the garden - but by taking one step sideways there was no rain and he could weed without getting wet.

It's over three months since I cancelled my telephone landline in favour of using a fibre optic provider but from my bank statement the company has still been charging me for services not rendered.

A young male has been 'phoning me to say I'm breathing my contract  :D 

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 May 24 06:00 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I am very happy to read that there has been the hoped for outcome for your DiL. :D  She will have peace of mind now and this will be such a relief to you all.  Hope you enjoy visiting with your SiL.

Gosh Rena, I hope you don't have to keep paying too long for services not rendered and that you can get out of the contract soon.

This is just quick as I will be setting off for the bus soon.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 May 24 08:22 BST (UK) »
I hope that you will all be voting today, if, of course, there is a local election in your area.

I remember when I first became eligible to vote and there was a local village council election being held.  My father asked me if I was going to attend, and I said "no, I don't understand what it is all about."  His response was - you WILL vote - women died so that you could have that opportunity.  Since then I have voted whenever possible.  We even came home early from holiday so that we could vote on Brexit.

Added:  He also taught me "if you don't vote, then you can't complain!"   ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 May 24 11:39 BST (UK) »
Heavy rain last night and thunderstorms for some, so some of our road are flooded again.  We had to take a longer alternative route to the nearest town to do our weekly shop today. 

We're off to vote while there is a fairly dry spell before it starts again later in the day.  We only have to vote for a Police Commissioner this time, but will be interested to see the various results around the country, especially from the Mayoral elections.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 May 24 11:48 BST (UK) »

Added:  He also taught me "if you don't vote, then you can't complain!"   ;)

That has always been my response whenever anyone says they never bother to vote.

Prior to the Brexit vote I got into conversation with a young man at the bus stop, he felt his vote would not make any difference. When I explained that abstaining meant he gave up any right to complain if things didn't go the way he wanted, also that every vote counted, he understood my point and said he would vote in future.

I saw him again after the election, he told me he had voted and persuaded his friends to do so as well.

I think some people think the lack of on vote won't make any difference, but if everyone thought that way there would be no point in having elections. What a state the world would be in then.

I have always voted, even when living abroad I had a proxy vote. I also acted as proxy for my son and DIL when they were living abroad.

We only have to vote for the Police Commissioner this time, I made sure my vote was posted last week.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 May 24 17:52 BST (UK) »
I always think of how brave women suffered ( force feeding to name but one) in their efforts to get votes for all women of age.

We can read about and try to understand their efforts but we will never personally know a world where we had no say at all in our lives.

Any inheritances became our husbands’ property.
No legal rights over our children and escape a violent marriage and we were disgraced.
Men attacking their wives and if it was a “ domestic “ even Police would not intervene .
There is a long way yet to go but by comparison we don’t know we are born!
The Suffragettes started movements to improve things,we ought not to waste the results of their efforts.

Lovely day today, most enjoyable visit to my sister in law, we went out to lunch and I asked if we could go to the cemetery where my Parents in Law are.They were good to us and I know my husband would want them remembered.
There were flowers so I left money for fresh ones when needed.

Fish and chips tonight although I am not hungry , but will have a very small portion,a child’s one perhaps .

Just watered the little newspaper and toilet roll seedling holders .
Sweet William, Cosmos, Oriental poppies Nasturtium.

Hope all are alright.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 May 24 22:42 BST (UK) »

Lovely day I had a pub lunch in a sunny garden area with my sister .

Chose a child's portion of fish and chips which was plenty..I couldn't even manage a dessert

On the way home
I voted and was surprised that I actually knew one of the candidates for police commissioner .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 May 24 13:04 BST (UK) »
What on earth is going on with the Royal Mail?

Yesterday at my art class one of the ladies had finally received some art materials that should have been delivered two weeks ago. She's been chasing the parcel which had been sent to Bristol (I live in the North East of England). It seems to have gone a convoluted route back here and after profuse apologies from the local delivery office she was told she could collect it from a particular post office. When she arrived there the parcel wasn't there, it was at another post office with more limited opening hours.

Another of the ladies in the class had received a parcel late because hers too had gone to Bristol. Today I received an email from Royal Mail apologising for the fact that a parcel I was expecting had been sent to Orton Southgate in error, that's near Peterborough apparently.

What a shambles from Royal Mail who are apparently concentrating on parcel deliveries (to the detriment of other postal deliveries). No wonder people order everything from Amazon.  :-\
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales