Author Topic: Cat H Burnhouse, Carnwath  (Read 428 times)

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cat H Burnhouse, Carnwath
« on: Monday 29 April 24 10:51 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to tell me what Cat H Burnhouse was in 1861, thanks

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cat H Burnhouse, Carnwath
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 24 11:00 BST (UK) »
Here is Burnhouse just south of Carnwath on the 1864 6” OS map:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/228779074#zoom=6&lat=5249&lon=8012&layers=BT

added: where does the reference to “Cat H Burnhouse” come from?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 24 21:07 BST (UK) »
Am I right in thinking that the ref to Cat H Burnhouse, Carnwath comes from the transcript (I am looking at Ancestry) for the 1861 census?

See it also mentioned here https://sandieteddy.wordpress.com/the-crawford-family/

Has anyone looked at the original image on SP?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 24 21:59 BST (UK) »
I have the original Census image from Scotland's People and on checking it has nothing for address for anyone on that page. I would need to spend a bit of money to get the other images to find the hand written address.

Your right it comes from a Transcription from Findmypast, Ancestry has a different address which doesn't make sense

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 24 22:28 BST (UK) »
Here is Burnhouse just south of Carnwath on the 1864 6” OS map:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/228779074#zoom=6&lat=5249&lon=8012&layers=BT

added: where does the reference to “Cat H Burnhouse” come from?

Thank you

it comes from the 1861 Scotland Census on Find my Past. I've got the original from Scotland's past but not sure how I can narrow it down to get the page with the handwritten address on it

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 00:03 BST (UK) »
If you go back to the entry on Scotland's People (which you will be able to see again because you have already paid for it), then look at the blue boxes at the top. If you click on the one that says "View header", it will show you (free) the title page of the enumeration book and the page with the detailed description of the area covered. You might get a clue there. If not, if it's the continuation of a street or property, you might just have to buy the previous page and see what it says there.

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 00:11 BST (UK) »
yes I've done that, I am at the moment going between Scotland's People list of names for 1861 Census for Carnwath and Find my past to see if I can pinpoint what page it changes to Cat H Burnhouse, at the moment I have Cat House Lampits so am getting close.

I can remember we used to be able to put in the details including the area, Page etc on Ancestry but that has been taken away

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 00:19 BST (UK) »
Page 3 under the name of Robert Blake Gargan has the start of Cat H Burnhouse for the address.

I clicked on ref to put the page numbers in order and then put different names from Scotland's People into Findmypast to narrow down and view the transcription

Doing a bit more research and have come across an ad advertising farms to let at Burnhouse and with the number of people being registered on the 1861 Scotland census tells me it was an Estate and that it was surrounded by farm cottages.

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 08:40 BST (UK) »
Could it be a misreading of Cot House i.e. Cottar House (at) Burnhouse? In other words a house occupied by a farm worker and family who is obliged to provide labour as required?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.