Author Topic: Researching Effe Helene Burton Queensland, Australia  (Read 162 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching Effe Helene Burton Queensland, Australia
« on: Monday 29 April 24 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, 
Not sure if this is permitted but:  I have been researching the large Burton family from Norfolk from where Robert Burton immigrated to Australia. 
I have now got to the point where I would like to add  photos of people and places, ones that I have not already found. So my particular one is the the family of one of the Burton Family from Beenleigh,  Queensland, Australia.
Frederick George Burton  and his wife Helene Justine Sommer and their first child Effe Helene Burton born 1882, Yandina, Queensland.  I have chosen Effe to start this project as I remember her visiting my grandmother on various occasions.  I believe that at this point she would have lived at Coorparoo , Brisbane, Queensland.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated .
Kind regards,
 Essnell

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Effe Helene Burton Queensland, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 24 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's a bit pot luck.Usually it's a matter of looking at family trees wiTh photos online.

Ancestry has a photo of her parents on its list of family trees.
Also his sisters Mary Elizabeth Burton 1862-1944.Fanny Maria 1854-1905 Brothers Joseph Colman Burton 1864-1872 and Alfred James 1866-1961.
There is Effe's sister Ethel 1889-1965

If you have ancestry have a look

Ciderdrinker

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker, 

Thank you for the reply.  I have all the original Burton family but I do not have any photos. 
Effe's mother and father are on the internet with almost every Burton related tree but not Effe or her siblings.  It's the same photo and it's  a late life one too. 

I was hoping that one or other of this large family might see the post and be able to help. 
I spent 3 hours yesterday on one tree supposed to have her in their tree but I didn't find her or a photo of any Burtons. 
I shall try again today.    Thankyou for your kindness. Essnell.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 01:26 BST (UK) »
I presume you have details of Effe’s marriage / husband, and her children.
Contacting her descendants might be a way of finding a photo. If they do not know you, however, I would not be surprised if they were unwilling.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 01:50 BST (UK) »
Effie's marriage to John Albert MANTHEY ended in judicial seperation in 1921.

There were 2 children.  Presumably, you have this information and the associated news items.

As Neale says, worth searching the MANTHEY line forward to try for contact.

Sue

ADDING. FYI.  The spelling of the given name is Effie in most instances.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone, 
Thank you for all the suggestions. 

Up  until yesterday all I had was her birth date. since then i have found most of the usual information. Yes she did divorce John Albert Manthey.  Later she remarried in 1936 to George Griffith in Kyogle, NSW, Australia. They had no children and he unfortunately died 4 years later in 1940. 

In 1954 she was residing at Sherwood in Brisbane and that would have been when I knew her.
Effe is her birth name and that is what I use with "know as Effie" where applicable. her mother was German and used the German spelling. Eventually it became the English version.
I shall keep looking. i have transferred my searching to my laptop it is faster than my computer.... UGH. 

Thenks again Eessnell.

Unfortunately I do not know any of this part of the family,