Author Topic: Birth Register R1  (Read 452 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Register R1
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 24 19:32 BST (UK) »
"R1" as a reference will be totally useless!
If you order a certificate through the GRO you need their reference number.

Or go through LancashireBMD.org.uk, and use the local reference. Which is different to the GRO reference!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 April 24 21:30 BST (UK) »
I suspect it might be a re-registration, but impossible to say without seeing the details and even then there may be a number of possible explanations.

Using indexes alobe to confirm relationships always involves some level of assumption and guesswork which can be wrong.

If you want me to give a better opinion  send me the names by PM and I'll have a look.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 09:20 BST (UK) »
I don't know the specifics of the registration being discussed, but out of curiosity I did an advanced search for civil births on FindMyPast, left all the fields blank and in the 'optional keyword' field entered R1

That brought up 96 results date range 1999-2007,location was either North Yorkshire or Lancashire

Choosing a name at random,I looked at the transcript which says the District was Lancashire, quarter and reg month were both 1  the references  do not match either the one on the GRO site or  lancs BMD site

Repeated the search using just the name and year (no keyword) and I get two entries:

the above in Q1 2006 with a ref I can't match with official sources

and 1 in Q3 2006 , reg month 7 which quotes a district of Bolton, county Lancashire which I can match with the official sources

Boo

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 10:00 BST (UK) »
R1 is just the register number and of no real significance.

@F1fan has let me see the details and it is a complex one, and without seeing certificates it is impossible to determine what is actually recorded on the entry.

"Blackburn with Darwen" and "Lancashire" are two different registration districts and the birth is registered in each. That shouldn't ever happen. However, the registration district of "Lancashire" only came into existence on 1/6/2005, which is around the time of this particular birth.

I suspect that the birth was registered twice. First in one district and then either because of some confusion about the new district boundaries, or that the birthplace had been given wrongly, deliberately or otherwise, it had to be re-registered in the correct district.

Offline F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 10:17 BST (UK) »
Although I have thanked AntonyMMM privately in the PM's I would also like to thank him here for his insights and the time he took to look and reply.

I will also thank KGarrard who also gave some insights via PM - this is due to the person still being alive.

As always, this is a great forum and a pleasure to be part of it  :)
Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire