Author Topic: history of Thomas Steele  (Read 712 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: history of Thomas Steele
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 May 24 16:30 BST (UK) »
Ronald Clarke Steele we really need you to give us some answers to our questions when you are next on here so that we can help you with your query.  :) :)

You say he went to Canada in 1852, do you have him or his parents on census prior to this
.   I see he has now been found in Canada in 1851,  do you have him in Scotland census in 1841

Where are you getting the names of his parents?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 May 24 18:49 BST (UK) »
   The FamilySearch Tree is chalk full of different contributors...He may have assumed that the parents were proven by the submitter...
   Not sure if the first reply the same day may have been a turn off...I had it removed as it wasn't necessary to the plot, but he may have already been put off by it.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 May 24 22:37 BST (UK) »
I did notice that first reply which has now been removed, it was hardly welcoming to someone just joining. Hopefully OP will realise that we do want to help with their search and come back to us
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ronald Clarke Steele

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 May 24 09:10 BST (UK) »
If Thomas Steele was born in1824 and his parents James and Mary Steele were married in 1806 maybe he was not the 1st child. Also the 1861 Canada census shows he was married in 1852 to Marget so he may have emmigrated to Canada earlier than 1852 as I stated.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 May 24 13:28 BST (UK) »
 :D Welcome back! I forgot it was the beginners board we were replying on. We can ask for this thread to be moved to the Scotland board, but it would be beneficial to you if we could have it be in the proper sub-board. If you have proof that these are your ancestors from documents, a family bible, etc. it will be moved to Renfrewshire.
   It isn't a good idea to pin one's hat on the wrong ancestor, as your ancestral tree will be wrong. Also he may be older as the 1851 shows a younger John Steel b. Scotland.
here is the full 1851 where he's already with Margaret ...and shows perhaps a younger brother John Steel b.1825 Scotland
1851 https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Home/Record?app=census&IdNumber=23744551
   Let us know so that we can dig in further for you to see if we can prove more on both sides of the pond!  J.J. in Canada

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:23 BST (UK) »
I cannot help you regarding Thomas Steele parents but my wife has a connection to his family.

Her great aunt on on her maternal side Lavina (Vina) Hosler married his son John Martin Steele on the 18 Nov 1908 at Gladstone Manitoba.  I am posting Thisin case you did not have the information. They had 7 children.

Jim

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 May 24 21:24 BST (UK) »
OP left this message via the 'report to moderator' function yesterday

MyGreat Grandfather left a small diary when he passed away he left a small diary in which he y.He stated his parents were James and Mary(Kean) Steele. That he was born in Renfrew,Scotland in 1824 and came to Canada in 1852.He married Margret Dunn(no D
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk