Author Topic: SS Triumph  (Read 347 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SS Triumph
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 09:37 BST (UK) »

I don’t think he was Albert Hector’s father.she didn’t disclose a father on either birth registration. I suppose she did that for a reason or she truly didn’t know who the fathers were. Some family members believe she was working the streets in Christchurch while the dubious Mrs Williams looked after Albert.

Glenda

So why have you said earlier that "On admission to Gordon Street [in 1887 ].... [when asked] ... "she stated that the father was Hector McNEIL, a seaman from SS Triumph"  ???   See below  > >

On admission to Gordon Street, Margaret Alice was asked about the baby's father.  She stated the father was Hector McNeil, a seaman from SS Triumph.

She attended Gordon Street in September 1887, her son, named Albert Hector was born later the same month. She remained at Gordon Street until early 1888.

Glenda

*    Do you have a copy (printout) of the birth record for Albert Hector HOWARTH ??
(b. 30/09/1887)

*    Where did the birth actually take place ?

*    Who was the informant to the birth - details please ?

*    Details that were provided about the mother (Margaret Alice) ?  (Age / birthplace etc)

~ Lu

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SS Triumph
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 10:38 BST (UK) »
Albert was born in Christchurch at the Canterbury Women’s Refuge. Margaret Alice was apparently 23 years of age, although she was 23 when she had Annie as well.The first informant was H P Brake, Authorised agent. Address was Linwood, although this could well be Gordon Street. Father is described as Not Recorded. The registration I have is a Data Printout from NZ BDM. Registration No. is 1887/11265.

Other than Lancashire being recorded as MA’s place of birth all other information is blank; no address or occupation.

Glenda
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)