Author Topic: Bertie Byrne - Hacketstown  (Read 1327 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bertie Byrne - Hacketstown
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 20:52 BST (UK) »
I also searched for the name Bertram without any luck so I'm not convinced it was his name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 21:03 BST (UK) »
He’s Bertram (Bertie) on his death notice in 1987. Irish Independent.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 21:25 BST (UK) »
I should have said that I'm not sure it was originally his name but that he adopted it at some stage.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 21:26 BST (UK) »
I should have said that I'm not sure it was originally his name but that he adopted it at some stage.

I concur.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 22:07 BST (UK) »
Bertie can also be a nickname for Robert.

Other than Albert, Bertie is also a nickname for Bartholomew. More likely than Robert IMHO.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 22:37 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same family as I can only view this snippet.

Carlow Nationalist, 7 July 1894: Hacketstown Petty Sessions. Thursday. Before Colonel Dennis, (chairman), Messrs R.R. Kennedy, R.M. and J.O. Adair. Curious Charge Of Larceny. Two women named Bridget Byrne and Mary Byrne, mother and daughter were prosecuted …

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 23:39 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same family as I can only view this snippet.

Carlow Nationalist, 7 July 1894: Hacketstown Petty Sessions. Thursday. Before Colonel Dennis, (chairman), Messrs R.R. Kennedy, R.M. and J.O. Adair. Curious Charge Of Larceny. Two women named Bridget Byrne and Mary Byrne, mother and daughter were prosecuted …

Looks to be the right family. Husband of Bridget a dealer. They were sent for trial at the following Carlow assizes, for stealing whiskey from their next door neighbor, a publican - even though he agreed with their explanation (that they had purchased it), and gave them a good character! Was not at his prosecution, but the prosecution of the RIC.

From the evidence, the family was drinking one to 1.5 pints of whiskey per day, every day.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe they could possibly have been found guilty based on the evidence outlined at the petty session hearing, and it was ... strange ..... that they were sent for trial. British justice in action.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 23:46 BST (UK) »
Carlow Nationalist, 14th July 1894.
Only one criminal case listed at the Carlow Assizes to be held on the following Monday - old woman accused of stealing whiskey.

I can find no further mention of the case.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 00:36 BST (UK) »
Death of the grandfather, James Byrne, in 1900, aged 54 - at least looks to be him.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05745/4622422.pdf