Author Topic: PoW camps  (Read 886 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
PoW camps
« on: Tuesday 30 April 24 11:07 BST (UK) »
Did you know that there were over 1000 WW2 prisoner of war camps in the UK?  It's interesting to see where they were located from this article from the Guardian and Lost Cousins

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/nov/08/prisoner-of-war-camps-uk#data

I only knew of one, the one in Grizedale Forest in the Lake District - see the 1957 film with Hardy Kruger as "The one that got away". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050803/   You can watch the trailer if you scroll down that page.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: PoW camps
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 11:58 BST (UK) »
I was aware that there were a lot in the UK.

Through work I met someone who had been in one near Brigg Lincolnshire. He said that he didn`t return to Germany as he "didn`t want to live under the communists" !!

There was another one near to where we used to live ,also in Lincs,  but that was for Italians.

The therer was one in South Wales where I believe  75 men absconded, although most (if not all) were recaptured.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 12:09 BST (UK) »
There was one for Italians near where I was brought up in Lancashire. They were put to work on farms in the area and quite a few decided to stay after the war and married locally. A boy I was at school with was the son of one of the POWs.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 12:22 BST (UK) »
What is now Oulton Park Racetrack in Cheshire was a PoW camp - Italians and German, who were sent out to work on the farms. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline tomm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 14:08 BST (UK) »
There was a PoW camp on Wormwood scrubs...

This had Italians and German PoW's at the start and then German PoW's at the end of the war.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 17:10 BST (UK) »
There was one for Italians near where I was brought up in Lancashire. They were put to work on farms in the area and quite a few decided to stay after the war and married locally. A boy I was at school with was the son of one of the POWs.

Same situation in East Riding of Yorkshire.  The Italian POWs were given the opportunity to work on the local farms.

i think everyone knew that the Italians didn't want to fight for Mussolini.

there was a story going around when I was young that around ten thousand Italian soldiers surrendered to a couple of British soldiers.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 17:19 BST (UK) »
Doesn't include Internment Camps?
There were 9 of these in WW2 Isle of Man.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 18:55 BST (UK) »
My Granddad was a Guard in WW2 at Prees Heath POW Camp Whitchurch for several years then moved to Glenn Mill POW Camp Oldham in 1943

https://www.lancashireatwar.co.uk/glenmill
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 20:02 BST (UK) »
As a former resident of a Lancashire mill town I find it interesting that several mills were used as PoW camps.  They must have been in the centre of town, so difficult to control, but maybe the PoWs became operatives in the mills rather than farm workers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.