Author Topic: PoW camps  (Read 891 times)

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PoW camps
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for such an interesting post.

The Italian Chapel in Orkney built by Italian PoWs after they were captured during the North African campaign is well worth a visit (must add along with other wonderful sites on the islands), it is stunning.

We were incredibly lucky last year, after coming out of the Chapel site  to see a pod of Orcas very close to the shore, magical experience.

https://www.orkney.com/listings/the-italian-chapel
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 07:44 BST (UK) »
To share another example just found on the I/net of a Chapel in Wales associated with Italian PoWs. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capel_Eidalwyr

Wondering if there are any more?
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 10:50 BST (UK) »
It was mentioned earlier that some of the PoWs chose to remain in the UK rather than return to their homeland. Several years ago I was asked to help our vicar with a reading that he wanted to give in German at the funeral of a German man (I used to be a teacher of German) and to talk to his sister, who had come over from Germany for the funeral, but who spoke no English.

She told me that her late brother had been recruited into the German army as a boy of 16 in the later stages of the war and had soon been taken prisoner and brought to England.  The family had lived in what became East Germany and the sister fled when the Russians came.  Her parents said that they were too old to flee with her and they would have to take whatever was coming to them.  They were sent to East Berlin and the sister eventually reached Stuttgart, where another sister lived.  The brother said he didn't want to return to a conquered Germany, where his family were scattered around and chose to stay in England for the rest of his life.  The parents eventually died and the sister was able to bring them to a grave in Stuttgart, where the other sister was already  buried.  She was determined to bring her brother back to the family grave, too, "so that the family could be together once more", she said.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 May 24 00:02 BST (UK) »
Doesn't include Internment Camps?
There were 9 of these in WW2 Isle of Man.

My grandmother's father died 1942 aged 86.   He had been born in mainland Europe in 1854 in the British territory of the Kingdom of Hanover.. 

Otto Von BISMARCK was the president and foreign minister of Prussia. He dominated European affairs after he masterminded the unification of Germany by waging war on all the little states and principalities.     America recognised this enlarged country of "Prussia", which meant Britain eventually followed suit and the Kingdom of Hanover when invaded by the Prussian army.  The locals were not treated very well.  Stories of Hanovarian families escaping clandestinely during darkness, or for example  by water skiing along canals and other means became known much later, because to leave a Germanic state in those days meant you needed permission in triplicate for every border that needed to be crossed.

The only people who had free access across Europe were musicians and my grandfather had an uncle who toured with a band of musicians.  So, aged six he was touring the European music circuit, playing a violin in a Hanovarian band.  The group arrived in England when he was 10 years one day old.   Aged 15 he met Lucy, aged 20, he married Lucy and they had six children.   Their four sons were called up to serve in the RAMC during WWI and their father wasn't sent to a camp but he did have to report to the local police station every day. during WWI and later in  WWII..  In those days a child and a wife took the nationality of their father/husband, thus his wife also became an "Alien" and she too had to report to the local police station. 

All the Germans who lived in Britain were treated suspiciously, many had opened their own butcher shops; and, as stated already, many were sent to the interment camps.     

Early 1980s my son-in-law was sent on a two year work  contract near Munich, Germany.    I visited one summer and visited the local park, which was void of all other humans, until a little old man from a nearby house walked along side the iron railings until he reached the gate and then headed straight for me.   In broken English he apologised for WWII blaming the Prussians who, he explained, were always waging war on people.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 May 24 10:53 BST (UK) »
It's always really interesting to hear personal experiences, Rena.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 May 24 11:34 BST (UK) »
To share another example just found on the I/net of a Chapel in Wales associated with Italian PoWs. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capel_Eidalwyr

Wondering if there are any more?

I`d forgotten about this one. It was on one of those travle programmes about the UK, it might have been Michael Ball`s Wondrous Wales.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 May 24 13:09 BST (UK) »
  When I started reading this thread, I didn't remember hearing about P.O.W. camps. Then it dawned on me that they were probably sited well away from the Kent coast! Most of the ones mentioned do seem to be in the North?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 May 24 16:04 BST (UK) »
  When I started reading this thread, I didn't remember hearing about P.O.W. camps. Then it dawned on me that they were probably sited well away from the Kent coast! Most of the ones mentioned do seem to be in the North?

There are several holes in my memory these days, but I do recall when I was researching my mainland European roots that there were European "Hessian Army" soldiers in barracks along the south coast of England. 

Some chatters will know that historically tribal leaders and kings, sultans, etc., often arranged marriages of their children to the offspring of other tribal leaders in order to ward of any war and to keep the peace..  We'd scoff now but babies and children as young as six years old were "married"

King James VI of Scotland (who was also King James 1 of England) married his grand-daughter Sophia to a European Duke in exchange for land - and that land became "The Kingdom of Hanover".

My grandmother carried a very popular Hanovarian girls name of "Sophia", which was also the given name of her Hanovarian paternal grandmother.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 May 24 09:35 BST (UK) »
Eden Camp in Yorkshire is a very well known tourist attraction and school outing place when they are studying WW2.

https://edencamp.co.uk/
North East of England