Author Topic: Ann from Castlemartyr b1797  (Read 114 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann from Castlemartyr b1797
« on: Tuesday 30 April 24 22:21 BST (UK) »
I have a ggg grandmother born in 1797 in Castlemartyr, Cork that I am keen to discover a little more about. Unfortunately, I don't even have a maiden name.

I don't have much to go on from before she came to England in 1825. The census returns suggest she was born in 1797 in Castlemartyr. She later married an English soldier John Lock(e), a private in the Royal Artillery. He was discharged from Dublin in 1825 and the pair made their way to Moreleigh in Devon.

I don't believe they had any children in Ireland but there were 6 born in Devon and perhaps with two of them being given the middle name of Evans, this might be a maiden name?

Unfortunately, that is all I have to go on. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann from Castlemartyr b1797
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 16:00 BST (UK) »
When was the oldest child born? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 24 09:03 BST (UK) »
The children that I am aware of were all born in Moreleigh, Devon. Jane the eldest in 1828 then the youngest (twins) in 1836 although both died shortly after.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 24 09:13 BST (UK) »
is it Moreleigh , or Monkleigh ??   Devon
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 24 09:18 BST (UK) »
It is Moreleigh in Devon but there are a few cases of Morley being used. It's a very small village that was probably not known much further afield!

Thinking about possible clues - John Locke possibly went to Ireland in 1815. He was discharged in 1825. There is hopefully a record of the marriage either from a local church or perhaps an army record...