Author Topic: Pickmore family of Middlewich, Chester  (Read 186 times)

Offline Gabriel 54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pickmore family of Middlewich, Chester
« on: Wednesday 01 May 24 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone! Once again I am delving into my Pickmore ancestors who seem to have once been quite profuse but are now nearly extinct!

My latest conundrum is the parentage of Vice Admiral Francis Pickmore (1757-1818) an enterprising seaman, born and baptised in Chester:
Here are the basic details I have of him (there is much on him in the Naval archives)

His father, William Pickmore (possibly the owner of a dancing academy in Chester)
Married 22 January 1750, Holy Trinity, Chester, to Elizabeth Holland ca 1730, with
Elizabeth 1752
William 1754
Francis 1757-1818

Elizabeth and Francis both married and have descendance to this day.

My problem is trying to find the parents of both William and Elizabeth Holland. She might have been a member of the family of Holland of Mobberley, but I don't see her in this genealogy, so back to the drawing board with her! It is William Pickmore's parents that confounds me. I do know that he was part of the Pickmore family, but despite having a huge pedigree copied from the Chester archives, he does not seem to be in it.

As an intriguing aside:
John Pickmore/ Pickmere of Warrington, Wine merchant in 1818, received a gift of a Newfoundland dog from the ailing and soon to be deceased Admiral, his 'cousin', then Governor of Newfoundland - the first recorded dog of this breed in England ( I notified the Kennel club when I discovered this nugget). It so happens John Pickmore was a 2nd cousin of my ancestor Peter Jackson (+ 1811), man midwife and surgeon of Warrington - both had moved to Warrington from Middlewich. Peter Jackson was the seventh son of James Jackson, butcher, owner of the King's Arms, and salt mines, as well as farmer, and his wife Martha Pickmore. A bit of flesh to the Pickmore saga.

Anyhow, can anyone help me with the parents of Francis Pickmore?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pickmore family of Middlewich, Chester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 24 08:30 BST (UK) »
https://cprdb.csc.liv.ac.uk/
go to database - click
in box put pickmore
only 6 appear -

NOTES   PARI   FULL   DATED   SURNAME   FORENAME   RESIDENCE   KEYCODE
        CEJB      6800309    PICKMORE     RALPH         CEJBC01401121.20129
        CEMY      7030110    PICKMORE     WILLIAM     HABG     CEMYC01100906.00068
        CEMY      7280721    PICKMORE     WILLIAM     HABG     CEMYC01400909.00295
        BEBI      7340125    PICKMORE     ALICIA     CEST     BEBIC01300210.30082
        DAVN      7730926    PICKMORE     JAMES     WITTC     DAVNC01800518.10224
        BUDG      8320722    PICKMORE     SARAH     LOSG     BUDGC06000357.20315

if you put a 1 in front of the numbers shown - ie the first one becomes 16800309 - this becomes
1680 - 03 ( March - and 09 ...so 9th march 1680  CEJB is the church of John the Baptist in Chester - the next 2 are St Marys Chester
do you have Francis Pickmore baptism date and what church in Chester ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 24 08:34 BST (UK) »
not all trees are correct ....
this tree has Francis Pickmore born 1757
https://gw.geneanet.org/wendyn1?lang=en&iz=6043&p=william&n=pickmore
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 24 13:20 BST (UK) »
I don't where this would fit in, but just in case it is useful (because of the seafaring connection): an arrival at Liverpool.

15 July 1783: Manchester Mercury
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 24 15:04 BST (UK) »
Re. dancing academy owner did spot -
https://journals.library.wales/view/2092910/2093693/6#?cv=6&m=61&h=%22pickmore%22&xywh=516%2C1231%2C2976%2C1909

Cannot spot an Admiral Thomas Pickmore.
"Bye Gones" was a quarterly antiquarian publication

Offline Gabriel 54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 24 16:51 BST (UK) »
Re. dancing academy owner did spot -
https://journals.library.wales/view/2092910/2093693/6#?cv=6&m=61&h=%22pickmore%22&xywh=516%2C1231%2C2976%2C1909

Cannot spot an Admiral Thomas Pickmore.
"Bye Gones" was a quarterly antiquarian publication

Yes, he named him wrongly, Francis. I have a lot on Vice Admiral Francis Pickmore, and thanks to you and others, have discovered his parents, William and Elizabeth, and his paternal grandfather, Ralph. Thanks again. Gabriel

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 24 20:22 BST (UK) »
I see you've plumped for William, son of Ralph & Anne and ruled out William son of William and Alice - William a labourer. How did you arrive at this?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 May 24 15:26 BST (UK) »
Have you checked (FindMyPast) the marriage of William Pickmore and Deborah Cotgreave (widow) on 10 Jan 1722. The marriage licence states his occupation.

A variation of "Cotgreave" pops up in an item in the Manchester Mercury, 3 Feb 1867 - only a few days after the death of a "Mr Pickmore dancing master" Chester Courant, 20 Jan 1767 (a William Pickmore, Gent, was buried 17 Jan 1767 at Holy Trinity, Chester).

William and Deborah in the frame for Francis' grandparents? Deborah, wife of William Pickmore died 29 Jun 1749.