Author Topic: Puzzing DNA origins results on Ancestry  (Read 256 times)

Offline Oldhasbeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Puzzing DNA origins results on Ancestry
« on: Friday 03 May 24 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

MY DNA results suggest that my lot mostly originate from East Anglia - see "DNA ALL" attachment.

If I click on "Maternal", I get an identical map; if I click on "Paternal", however, I get nothing -see 2nd attachment. This makes no sense to me.

BTW my father's grandfather's family came from North Essex, part of East Anglia.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzing DNA origins results on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 24 08:48 BST (UK) »
Like all ethnicity predictions it seems a bit of a lottery.
On my father's side his paternal line is from Berks / Oxon and his maternal line is split between Sussex and  Jersey (Channel Islands). Ancestry only shows my community inherited from him as Berks / Oxon, no mention of any maternal contribution. I can understand that possibly these two further communities dilute the predictions
But, my mother's line is split between Dorset / Hampshire for her father and Yorkshire for her mother, but the only community that Ancestry shows for her side is Dorset / Hampshire. Again the paternal line only.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 24 09:17 BST (UK) »
Could it be a glitch ?

What happens if you click on ethnicity rather than community

Do you get a circle divided into different colours or 1 colour for paternal and maternal ( If totally English )
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 24 11:05 BST (UK) »
The Communities that you are looking at are derived from more recent locations of your ancestors and those of your DNA matches as found to be common between your and their family trees. As with Thrulines, they are only as relevant as the accuracy of those trees and subject to being skewed by situations such as the wholesale copying of trees or parts thereof without any checking by various users, unfortunately not uncommon on Ancestry and elsewhere.

If you have a fairly well developed tree, and a good number of DNA matches allocated to your paternal side by Sideview, I would have expected the paternal communities to at least show something.

In that respect, it does seem that it could be a glitch - not unknown - and may resolve itself in time.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Oldhasbeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 24 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thnks for your replies. I'm pretty sure it's an IT glitch - hopefully it'll be resolved by Ancestry.