Author Topic: Royal Livery Stables in Hulme, Manchester  (Read 826 times)

Offline iowagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Livery Stables in Hulme, Manchester
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 05:11 BST (UK) »
Alan, any thoughts on where my great uncle, Edwin, might have gone to school when he was in Manchester.  I think he came over Dec 1899 and back to USA in 1902.  Have not found travel over, but SSG's brother, Edwin, came over in Nov, 1899, and the local paper said he went back to UK in Dec 1899.  So I "assume" my Uncle Ted came over with his uncle, Edwin.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 07:39 BST (UK) »
The earliest map (1848) was linked to by MollyC in reply #14. It’s clear that there is a different building(s) on the corner, and a lot of space around it, so yes, there were lots of changes in the area over the next few decades.

As far as school records for Edwin Grange are concerned, I had a quick look and found nothing. I think your best bet would be to post a new query about this on a specific board, and then you might get a response from an expert on such matters.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 08:09 BST (UK) »
There are many schools listed in the 1895 directory from frame 220 onwards:

https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/152629/rec/9
(British Schools were non-conformist and National Schools were Church of England)

The 1888 OS map shows a school a short distance to the SE of the Grand Junction on Upper Jackson Street.  It was a Board School set up under the Education Act 1870 whch introduced compulsory schooling.  However these schools only took pupils up to about age 13.  If the family could afford it he may well have attended a private school, of which the most prestigious is the Manchester Grammar School for Boys.  I think you should follow Alan's suggestion.

Offline iowagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 May 24 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Molly and Alan

Samuel Skaife Grange and his brother, Ed, attended Merchants College in Blackpool. I have what I think is their school picture.  But that seemed to have closed long before "Uncle Ted" came over.

When I first asked about the stables, I thought it might have been the original site of Grange Junction before it was built. And now I find it was another business.

Again, thanks for your time and research links. 
Elaine