Author Topic: help needed - parents of Robert Douglas b.1850 Falkirk.  (Read 274 times)

Offline hostile17

• RootsChat Member
  • Gizmo
    • View Profile
Re: help needed - parents of Robert Douglas b.1850 Falkirk.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 May 24 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info. Will buy more credits for Scotland's people, I like to have as many records as I can on Ancestry.
Smith, Elliott, Newbury/Newberry, Boswell, Rutherford, Gray, Mobbs, Heron/Hearn

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 May 24 02:46 BST (UK) »
I didn’t find an image of the original baptism for Anne Simes in Gatehead 1823
I do find that the FreeReg transcriptions are pretty reliable and usually include all information from the register.
You may find an image of the original at Durham Records Online https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php

There are some trees on Ancestry that have James Sim death 23 April 1846 Grangemouth. I can’t see a document to support this, but it would fit with Marrion re-marrying in 1850. There might be a grave memorial somewhere to be found, or a newspaper item, to confirm that detail.

I’m sure you have found the birth for Marrion DOWNIE in 1799 Bo’ness to parents Richard Downie and Christian Clerk. I think this will probably be correct. Marrion had a daughter named Christian.
I did not find a death in Scotland for Marrion.

Marriage for Richard DOWNIE (baker) and Christian CLARKSON 17 November 1786 in Bo’ness. – 7 children baptised in Bo’ness 1789- 1801.
I think you should be able to trace this family line back at least another generation.

I searched some more for Alexander DOUGLAS ( a sailor/ seaman) in records after the 1841 census, but I could not find anything that I thought was useful.

Perhaps searching the newspapers for Alexander (and for James Sim) might come up with a possible death at sea.

……
P.S. That’s a very pretty kitty for your avatar pic.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline hostile17

• RootsChat Member
  • Gizmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 May 24 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks. the cat is Gizmo, he's one of six in my house.

Regarding James at sea I found a bunch of ships crew lists that have James in them (if its the right James), he seems to be going from England to Australia, then knocking around Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, India and Hong Kong before returning to England.

I wonder if Alexander or James became Masters, got to piece together all the records I can find.
Smith, Elliott, Newbury/Newberry, Boswell, Rutherford, Gray, Mobbs, Heron/Hearn