Author Topic: GRO certs  (Read 497 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GRO certs
« on: Monday 06 May 24 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have seen a parish register image on FS of a death in 1839, has date etc. I put the info into the GRO search and they came up with 5 suggestions but only one might possibly be it. Does anyone know what "Union" Great Shelford in Cambs might be please?

Or is there as chance that although the death is in the PR it was not sent through to the GRO?

Thanks
Meegan

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GRO certs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 24 05:14 BST (UK) »
Union usually refers to the poor house, or work house. Often the poor house also had a hospital attached.
A church burial as early as 1839, may not have necessarily been recorded in the deaths of the civil records.
Be sure to check for different spellings in GRO.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 24 05:16 BST (UK) »
You only need to know the registration district, which was Chesterton.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/chesterton.html

Debra  :)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 24 05:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neale and Dundee - I have found the DCs I needed.

Neale - they are the Robinsons you assisted me with. Thanks again
Meegan

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 May 24 07:24 BST (UK) »
Union refers to a Poor Law Union which was a large group of parishes maintaining a union workhouse under the "New Poor Law" system introduced in the 1830s, rather than single parishes as previously.  The word was often used to refer to the workhouse itself.  Because the civil registration system was introduced around the same time, the original Registration District areas were formed with the same boundaries as the Poor Law Unions, although often altered later.

In the GRO index, despite having a simple drop-down list of place-names for Districts, some records have been entered with long names including the word Union, as they appear in early civil registers.  This is not helpful within an index of personal names, and could have been avoided.

The functions of the Unions and the Registration Districts were unconnected, they just happened to share the same boundaries initially.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 24 12:25 BST (UK) »
Union usually refers to the poor house, or work house. Often the poor house also had a hospital attached.
A church burial as early as 1839, may not have necessarily been recorded in the deaths of the civil records.
Be sure to check for different spellings in GRO.

An 1839 death should be Registered in the District where the death occurred.

Burial might be elsewhere.

The GRO online Index referral to Union does not always mean a Workhouse event. It refers to the Union area, (added see reply by MollyC)

My family's 1845 Quaker burial could not take place without the issue of a separate Death Form by the District Registrar confirming the death was reported to the Registrar, his name, age and the District the death occurred in, which then permitted the burial to take place.

This Registrars Form gave the Church an option to enter the town/place where death occurred in the Church Burial Register.

We have a scan of this 1845 Registrar's Form, which the Quakers kept with their own Burial Register & their own Burial Certificate.

Some Quaker Meetings kept these Registrar Forms, but the Church probably disposed of the Registrar Forms, after the burial was formally entered in the Church Register.

Mark

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 May 24 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark - more grist for the mill

Cheers
Meegan

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 May 24 15:06 BST (UK) »
Very good point by Neale1961 regarding spelling variations.

Free BMD.
Because you can also open the image for each Quarter and see part of the Index as a page and run down the names (another nearby name search, should get the next image).
 ----------
The only other thing I am not sure about is Cholera, one would hope Registration still occurred.

Some towns have Mass Cholera Graves.
 ----------
A Century later in WW2 (1940) after the GAF bombing of Coventry (translation from German - Operation Moonlight Sonata), my relative assisted in moving casualties to the London Road Cemetery, Coventry and some were apparently unregistered.

https://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/blitz/blitz.php?pg=aftermath

British Intelligence Report Image
TNA, Kew, Catalogue ref: AIR 2/5238
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/home-front-1939-1945-part-one/moonlight-sonata-and-cold-water/

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GRO certs [ E & W Death Registration ]
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have seen a parish register image on FS of a death in 1839, has date etc. I put the info into the GRO search and they came up with 5 suggestions but only one might possibly be it. Does anyone know what "Union" Great Shelford in Cambs might be please?

Or is there as chance that although the death is in the PR it was not sent through to the GRO?

Thanks
Meegan

Certificate of Registry of Death from the Registrar to allow burial was Pursuant to an Act dated 6 & 7 William IV.

See printing top and bottom (name of deceased deliberately removed).

Fuller details will be in the actual Act.

Regarding your Burial in England, provided the Death occurred in England & Wales, the death should be registered in the place / District where the death occurred.

Mark