Author Topic: Will with kinsman / kinswoman and kinsman the Elder  (Read 162 times)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
Will with kinsman / kinswoman and kinsman the Elder
« on: Monday 06 May 24 11:45 BST (UK) »
I have a 1713 Will / Probate 1720 that the testator John Davison refers to his family as kinsman /  kinswoman and kinsman the Elder.

When John mentions kinsman and kinswoman, it's his children. 

Although he also refers to Thomas as kinsman the Elder. Would this be John's father?

In the name of God Amen, John Davison of Ramsgate in the Parish of St Lawrence in the Isle of Thanet and County of Kent Fisherman being in good health of body and of Sound and Disposing Mind and Memory praised be almighty God therefore DOC Make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in the manner and form following that is to say
Imprimis - I give and bequeath unto the children of my late kinsman John Davison deceased the sum of Two shillings and Six pence to be equally divided between them.
Item – I give and bequeath unto my kinsman Thomas Davison the Elder the sum of Two shillings & Six pence.
Item – I give and bequeath unto my sister Susanna Watts the sum of two shillings and six pence.
Item – I give and bequeath unto my kinswoman Sarah Steward widow the sum of Two shillings and six pence.
Item – I give and bequeath unto my kinswoman Catherine Abbott the sum of Two shillings and six pence.
Item – I give and bequeath unto Mildred the wife of my brother William Davison the sum of Five pounds of lawfull money of Great Britain.
Item – I give and devise all that messuage or tenement wherein I now dwell together with the together with the outhouses, buildings, garden, yards and appurtenances there unto belonging unto my said brother William Davison and to his heirs and assigns for ever.
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Will with kinsman / kinswoman and kinsman the Elder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 24 13:29 BST (UK) »
Ok John is not referring to his father as the father married twice, in 1622 and then in 1630 making him likely deceased at the time of the Will.

It turns out there is a stepbrother from John's father's first marriage with the name Thomas
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 24 21:17 BST (UK) »
In the third line, DOC is probably DOE = DO - I... do make...

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 05:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I did wonder what the DOC DOE did mean.