Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 12thMay 2024  (Read 1680 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 12thMay 2024
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 May 24 10:14 BST (UK) »
LM, re the dash poem you have mentioned - I like another poignant one too called 'The Last Time'. Author unknown.
http://thelittleyears.com/last-time-poem-author-unknown/
It relates to children but I think it can equally make you think of any poignant memory where you didn't realise it would be the last time or can't remember when it was the last time.
I was at the coast on a walk with someone recently and came across a little slope on the links where growing up, my family would sit.  That is my Mam, and my much older sister and her children.  Mam and sister used to sit there as they had a good view there of us kids playing on the sands and in the sea.  Now whenever I pass that empty spot I can visualise us all sitting there, drinking tea from flasks and eating egg and tomato sandwiches in the sunshine.  I have no memory now of when would have been the last time.  It is now very fuzzy; all I can remember is we went here regularly in the good weather and it is a happy memory.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 May 24 10:39 BST (UK) »
Well,  two  ladybirds in my garden and the wild garlic is flourishing under the Dogwood.
We had some chopped in butter on new potatoes.
It’s official name is “ Ramsons “ and is supposedly how  Ramsbottom got its name, Ramsons Bottom,ie a deep valley where Ramsons grow.

Lovely morning again ,and a good week for gardening so lots done.
Eldest son and his wife’s wedding anniversary today ,29 years.
Daughter and Son  in law’s 8 years, her second husband ,a really nice man who is so kind and loves F,H and Kyra.
 He is really in a good relationship with my grandchildren too.

Such a busy time with four birthdays in May, two Wedding anniversaries and
I am invited to stay with my daughter and son in law for my birthday so depending on my son’s workload we will visit them.
Trains are so unreliable at the moment but I like train travel .

Well grandson needs specs!
Getting headaches and nausea whilst doing precision work ,he will need two pairs, so convenient .Two for one at Specsavers!
They have just moved house so some expense there so he is getting the specs  as a birthday present from me !

I wish my husband could see how a shy gentle little boy has grown into a confident young family man with high  ethics just as he had, it is lovely .
Grand daughter too ,doing accountancy and loving it whilst my husband never really enjoyed it .
He would have been a super detective ,had a strange gift for seeing people as they really were ,knew instinctively when they were dishonest .
My daughter has inherited that , very good to have that in business.

Hope everyone is having some nice Spring sunshine ,we need it !

I need a card for my daughter and son in law’s WA on 14 th.14/5/2916.
I gave her away as her Dad had died in 2914 and her son / my grandson was in the hospital nursing  newborn F,H. who was desperately ill  with sepsis as I have mentioned .

Well, must get on.
Look after yourselves folks, and best wishes for birthdays,anniversaries and for those with sad anniversaries, especially.

Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 May 24 12:15 BST (UK) »
I have various months where there are lots of birthdays and anniversaries,  one family I know of had 3 children,  all born within a few days  if each other in September , either good planning  or good luck.

I have been out early this morning working  in shade to put some fuchsias in, also took up my daffs, most came up blind even though most were new bulbs, got to decide whether to throw them away or store them, a lot of greenery with very few daffs.

Drs appts are getting very frustrating at the moment,  got to see the same Dr who referred me for a procedure,  visited last week, gave me 4th June,  so rang yesterday  at 8am, second in the queue,  no Dr available,  visited  this morning  before 8am, no Drs available,  also to ring it is all automated,  don't need to speak to anyone, I can forsee some people  giving up, it is very frustrating, so  asked to either call or visit next Monday, 8am, or Tuesday 7am, I will be outside the door before 7am even though the day before I will be at the Tower keys ceremony till late.

I want a water butt that is an unusual shape, bit like a wrap around the downpipe  sort of water butt, not found   anyone who sells them so far.

It is a beautiful day here, danger to some to sit outside to make  the most of it but be careful, don't overdo it.

Take care

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 May 24 14:13 BST (UK) »

LM several of our long-standing daffodils came up blind this year too. I was wondering if it was the wet weather we had. I’m going to dig them up and put them in a big pot and see if they flower next year - assuming the bulbs look ok.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 May 24 14:20 BST (UK) »
I was thinking the same, can't  do any harm, at the  back of the garden I have "casualty" corner where I put my problem plants, give then 1 season and if the don't perk up they go.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 May 24 17:20 BST (UK) »
.Who remembers when inattentive or naughty children were made to stand in front of the class ,back to the other children ,could not see the blackboard so learnt not a lot!
One boy,very poor family -had a hole in the back of his short pants and so was ridiculed by unkind children.
I could never understand why a teacher would be so cruel .
She smacked me because in my anxiety I could not remember how many gills made a pint or pints a quart .
Told me the white part on maps was undiscovered land but they were Th e Arctic and Antarctica.!
I have never had a nice Maths teacher ——-.

Outside The Head Teacher’s office where I worked there was a hole in the wall,  bored boys sent as punishment had to wait until he was free to “  deal with “ them - someone had started the hole which got bigger and bigger as lads were made to wait .
He was not an unkind man at all, was well liked but had good discipline and the futility of waiting,picking at a wall was enough punishment he felt .
He once carried on his shoulders a little girl with mobility problems ,we took the top class to The Lakes,Boot in  Eskdale in their last term,she did so want to join us ,but when tired he carried her.
She it was with another pupil got their glasses mixed up after P.E.
They had to remove them for P.E.
For half a term they had each others’ - only when the teacher noted where they had put theirs but just picked up the nearest pair was all revealed!
That school rang with laughter
On occasion when at Secondary School ,she would get home a little while before Mum so would call in and shout from the front entrance” MR.——-,will you mind  me, Mum is not home yet ?
Of course he did ,she lived on the same road as school.
Oh happy days.
Well blazing sunshine ,a lovely day .
Hope it continues over the weekend.
Kind regards everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 May 24 17:56 BST (UK) »

LM several of our long-standing daffodils came up blind this year too. I was wondering if it was the wet weather we had. I'm going to dig them up and put them in a big pot and see if they flower next year - assuming the bulbs look ok.

Have they been undisturbed for a number of years? They  tend to need replanting every few years to give them more room.  I had some in a window box for some years, a lot were blind last year but replanted in the garden with more space, they flourished this spring.

I have never had success with Freesias, I tried in a window box when living in a flat in Germany. Then in two gardens but the never flowered, so I gave up. Mysteriously I had three Freesias  in this garden last month, yet I have never planted any here, and have lived here since the house was built 41 years ago.

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 May 24 22:12 BST (UK) »

LM several of our long-standing daffodils came up blind this year too. I was wondering if it was the wet weather we had. I'm going to dig them up and put them in a big pot and see if they flower next year - assuming the bulbs look ok.

Have they been undisturbed for a number of years? They  tend to need replanting every few years to give them more room.  I had some in a window box for some years, a lot were blind last year but replanted in the garden with more space, they flourished this spring.

I agree about the replanting of old bulbs Jebber.

I think LM mentioned that most were new bulbs, when they come up blind it's often because they haven't been planted deep enough.

A lot of my tulips had disappeared this year, not sure what had happened there.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 May 24 22:18 BST (UK) »
That’s quite strange, as we’ve had daffs planted round two trees in the garden, never moved and they were more abundant this year than in past years… lucky?

Tulips on the other hand are another matter entirely! Sadly our local resident muntjac eat the tops off them most years alternating between different bunches! One lot I don’t think I’ve ever seen what colour they are.. this year twelve plants in one bunch nipped off! Hey ho lovely to have the wildlife just wish they’d find someone else’s occasionally..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK