Author Topic: James Small Gort Co Galway  (Read 274 times)

Offline toddy9040

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Small Gort Co Galway
« on: Monday 06 May 24 15:01 BST (UK) »
James Small was married to Bridget O’Grady, they married in 1943 he was a batchelor and she had been previously married and her name was Ballinger, on the marriage cert he is down as a soldier living at Renmore which I assume are the barracks in Galway, he put his father Thomas down as a soldier, I have found nothing on him at all as I don’t know his age where he came from, nothing.
No-one in the family knows about him, does anyone know or has heard of James or Thomas Small, he lived in Crow St Gort with Bridget. I have checked all army records in Ireland and England, nothing!
Any help would be appreciated

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: James Small Gort Co Galway
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 24 21:56 BST (UK) »
James Small was married to Bridget O’Grady, they married in 1943 he was a batchelor and she had been previously married and her name was Ballinger, on the marriage cert he is down as a soldier living at Renmore which I assume are the barracks in Galway, he put his father Thomas down as a soldier, I have found nothing on him at all as I don’t know his age where he came from, nothing.
No-one in the family knows about him, does anyone know or has heard of James or Thomas Small, he lived in Crow St Gort with Bridget. I have checked all army records in Ireland and England, nothing!
Any help would be appreciated

This marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1943/08787/5176170.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline toddy9040

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 24 22:13 BST (UK) »
Yes

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 24 22:20 BST (UK) »
Bridget was born in Gort in 1887. It would probably be fair to assume that James was around the same age, or perhaps older.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02556/1945634.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 May 24 22:26 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 24 23:40 BST (UK) »
Looking in the newspapers.
Did they separate in 1946?
In 1950 a Bridget Small is taking a James Small to court to increase maintenance payments set in 1946.

There is a death of a Bridget Small in 1957 no mention of her husband although her husband is still living according to her death cert, she has 2 boys and a married daughter but her address is Boland’s Lane, not Crowe Street.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1957/04386/4139907.pdf
Age fits quite well with the 1887 birth

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 00:32 BST (UK) »
There appears to be a family tree on Ancestry saying that a James Small of "Annaghdown" married an Annie Sheehan, and ended up dying in New Zealand. I don't have a subscription at present, and can't tell if this is the same fellow I have posted details of  - but may be.