Re: Prussia
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 May 24 11:41 BST (UK) »

There are the children I have

Robert BATTLE
1846–1919

Powell Battle
1849–

As mentioned before ....
I believe Pole/Powell and Robert are possibly the same person born abt 1848 in Berlin (The important thing is that this location would narrow down your search in Germany!!).
The Battle family in 1851 with only 1 son born in Germany and 1 in England: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG1K-14X

If Powell changed his name to Robert, it is possible that dad Robert (b abt 1825/6) might have had a totally different first name as well!

If you are convinced that they Pole and Robert jr are two different people, can you supply the data that you are basing this on?
(NB I can't find Pole after the 1861 census, and can't find Robert jr before his 1869 marriage)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prussia
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 24 11:56 BST (UK) »

And yes, thats the variants of Hannah's surname I have found on the gro.  However, Im wondering if they have become anglicized as she was born in Poland or Russia

Her surname is most likely anglicized, but it still gives you something to work with. The orginal name could have been something like "Huske(r)", "Hoske(r)", "Hoskówna" or "Chosak" etc
"Battle" is most likely anglicized as well. Originally it could have been "Batl", "Bartel", "Batlewska" etc

The more little snippets you can find and supply here, the better .. especially because German research is not easy. Even the kids names are important because kids were often named after grandparents or siblings.