Author Topic: So many places called Kilmore. Likely to be Townland or village  (Read 408 times)

Offline Chris.s.25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
So many places called Kilmore. Likely to be Townland or village
« on: Thursday 09 May 24 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Looking for some help please.
My Gt Grandmother stated that she was from Kilmore, Ireland on her marriage certificate. I have been unable to find her in any records I have online access to. I'm stuck as to which county to research as there are more that 50 places called Kilmore. It would be helpful  to pin down an area to search.
Her name was Annie Burns, married Charles Edward Parkin in Melbourne, Australia in 1888. She was born abt 1861 to William Burns and Annie(maiden name "unknown" on marriage certificate). Religion: R.C, Occupation: dressmaker.
I haven't been able to definitively identify her on any shipping records either.
My main question is, if she said she was from Kilmore, is she likely to be meaning a townland or village but any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: So many places called Kilmore. Likely to be Townland or village
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 24 12:56 BST (UK) »
A number of public family trees on Ancestry show that she was born in Kilmore, Dublin

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 24 14:00 BST (UK) »

A number of public family trees on Ancestry show that she was born in Kilmore, Dublin

There are two almost adjacent townlands in Dublin City.

Kilmore Big to the north and Kilmore Little to the south.

https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/coolock/coolock/coolock-ed-1901/kilmore-big/
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/coolock/coolock/coolock-ed-1901/kilmore-little/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5362740#map=13/53.3976/-6.2249

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:01 BST (UK) »
I've always thought "kil" means "church".

I Googled for "the origin and meaning of the place name "Kilmore" "- and this was the search result:-

"Kilmore derives its name from the Irish word 'an Chill Mhór', meaning "the big church", as it is most famous for the historic 18th century Anglican church the building for which is now located in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum"

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:43 BST (UK) »

Is that likely to be meaningful ?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 24 21:45 BST (UK) »

I Googled for "the origin and meaning of the place name "Kilmore" "- and this was the search result:-

"Kilmore derives its name from the Irish word 'an Chill Mhór', meaning "the big church", as it is most famous for the historic 18th century Anglican church the building for which is now located in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum"

I don't know where you got that quote, but the part about "most famous..... " is total BS.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 24 22:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

The trees I have viewed show no evidence of her birth being Kilmore, Dublin.
There are census records too which are wrong so I would be very cautious if I were you.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 24 23:18 BST (UK) »

I don't know where you got that quote, but the part about "most famous..... " is total BS.

I don't normally respond to uncouth bad language .

Perhaps in the author's experience and locality it was the most famous church..  Just as one of the most famous bits of local information I've got is that I was born in the same town as William Wilberforce, went to the same school as Amy Johnson and Tom Courtenay, all of whom some people might not have heard of..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 24 00:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

The trees I have viewed show no evidence of her birth being Kilmore, Dublin.
There are census records too which are wrong so I would be very cautious if I were you.

Precisely