Author Topic: The Cramlington Train Wreckers talk&film event 11 May at Newcastle library  (Read 117 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
As part of their Local History Month events, Newcastle City Library will be hosting an event called 'The Cramlington Train Wreckers' - 11 May 2024, 1 pm in Bewick Hall, Newcastle City library

This free event will include an illustrated talk discussing whether these miners were 'workers defending their jobs (and communities) or terrorists' and a 'brilliant' 30 minute BBC film (1970) Total duration of event will be 90 minutes.

They had been sentenced to 48 years penal servitude for derailing the Flying Scotsman.  No one was killed but one person was slightly injured.

I thought I would let you know as this may be of interest to some RootsChatters.

I think you can just turn up but double check with the library.  It does say no charge for talks and no booking just turn up on the day.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Cramlington Train Wreckers talk&film event 11 May at Newcastle library
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 24 16:13 BST (UK) »
Just a clarification: that sentence sounded a bit harsh! According to a contemporary newspaper account the eight men were sentenced to “four to eight years penal servitude”.

It’s possible that the eight sentences added up to 48 years.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 24 17:20 BST (UK) »
It’s possible that the eight sentences added up to 48 years.

Three miners were sentenced to 8 years each  = 24 years
Two miners were sentenced to 6 years each     = 12 years
Three miners were sentenced to 4 years each   = 12 years
                                                                        48 years

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 24 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking!
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 24 09:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks for the sentence breakdown AllanUK.
I agree that 48 years did sound overly harsh on first reading; I did suspect that would have been a cumulative sentence.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner