Author Topic: Trying to find a report in a local paper 1835  (Read 652 times)

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a report in a local paper 1835
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks again....  I'm learning so much through these brief encounters.  Much appreciated.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:26 BST (UK) »
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Shardlow/

Says relatively few records survived. Derbyshire record office do have Guardians minute books. But I don’t think they will have admission records in them. Someone else will know more hopefully.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 May 24 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks again....  I'm learning so much through these brief encounters.  Much appreciated.

Yes…I’ve learned a great deal by being on Rootschat.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 May 24 22:44 BST (UK) »
Isabella

Isabella Wetten  m James Ward
She says her father is Francis a schoolmaster.
A witness is Eliza Ferguson

Ancestry then giving hints that they too went to Australia

James Ward 24 (tinman of Nottinghamshire),  his wife Isabella 23 (Leicestershire) and daughter Elizabeth 1
Arrived in Tasmania on 3 Jan 1855 on the “Australasia”
Sent out and paid for by Francis Wetton

(This is the same ship that George arrived on. So it looks like Francis tried to bring whatever family he could or wanted to come, as he had enough money to pay for their journey by this point. It cost him just under £72 to bring out George and the Ward family, which was a pretty amount at that time)

Children born in Tasmania to Isabella and James
Born 1856 - Francis William Ward - died 1901 (Hobart)
Born 1864 – James Henry Ward - married in 1887 Hobart to Maria Probatt - died 1942 St Kilda, Victoria.
James H Ward's death notice gives names of his children
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/245131126?searchTerm=%22James%20Henry%20Ward%22
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 May 24 22:58 BST (UK) »
... It's fascinating to me that despite the surgeon superintendent noting on arrival in Hobart that Wetton was 'not to be trusted in any one way', he was assigned to work as clerk in the Colonial Engineer's office.   Later, after serving his sentence, Wetton was reported as having made 'a lot of money' while working for various attorneys, by the 'discounting of bills'.

Your Francis was fortunate that he was literate, educated and could work with maths / numbers. Those skills were in great need in the early days in the colonies. Most convicts & many free settlers arriving in those years were illiterate. So despite his “bad” record, he was put to work where he had skills.

Francis also acquired the license for the pub “Marquis of Hastings” in Brisbane Street, Hobart. I assume you have seen the various newspaper articles about him.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 May 24 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale1961.  Yes - I'm aware that literate convicts were the exception, and many made great strides in the colony while still formally under sentence. So I do understand why he would have been given a clerk's role, but I'm surprised it took them so long (9 months)  to decide he should be attached to one of the road building probation stations rather than in an office in the town, given the notes from the trial and the Surgeon Superintendent on the Norfolk..   
Francis actually built the Marquis of Hastings and was the licensee for a number of years (though not continuously)  - as was his wife Elizabeth, after he died in 1858.  There was considerable friction between herself and George at that time regarding a claim to the inn and its contents.  Francis had given George several allotments, but not the Marquis itself.  George drowned only a few years later (1863).
 I was aware that Francis had submitted an application for 2 relatives to migrate - but hadn't identified the second. The passenger list for the Australasia has been digitised, but the tasmanian Names Index only references the passengers, not the sponsors, so without knowing Isabella's married name I had no reason to search the full list.  I wonder how she felt when she arrived to find another Isabella Wetton in her father's local family.    Many thanks for the details you've shared..

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 May 24 10:41 BST (UK) »
If you want to see the sessions order book, you can on FamilySearch
Bottom right, continues next image
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6227-VMN

To download you need to use their image viewer
https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/

Offline FelicityH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 May 24 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi JonW65.  This is brilliant!  I'm so grateful for a first hand account of the workings of the court.  I'm aware that the cost of bringing a prosecution was a deterrent for many people, and Wetton seems to have believed  his individual frauds were of amounts small enough to outweigh the likelihood of prosecution.  It seems that only when a few of the aggrieved citizens got together that something substantial happened.  Really good to see that their costs were covered - and it's amazing to be able to read such clear handwriting (compared to convict conduct records and colonial land dealings, this one is a breeze!).  Thanks for sharing.