Author Topic: General help needed - can't find death registry entry  (Read 882 times)

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General help needed - can't find death registry entry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all of those ideas. I'll post back with any success, although I'll just have to accept it when the search goes cold.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 17:04 BST (UK) »
Although it wouldn't explain the absence of a death certificate between 1901 and 1911, have you searched for her in the 1901 using initials only (for forename and surname), in case she was in an institution? Obviously, finding someone of same initials may not be conclusive, but could provide further options to research.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that suggestion. I've had a quick look at the 1901 Census using initials only and yes, there are results for Asylums.

The outcome is incredibly difficult to understand however and I'm wondering if I'll find an actual link to the persons father, address etc.

Any search results seems to end up with a list of entries by initials, then a bunch of names then initials etc. (why is that?).

Even when I find a pair of initials that matches or even if I eventually found a full name match, the result is not conclusive, because no link to family seems to be evident. If I go to the Workhouse Return pages and look at a few of them, still no link is apparent to family or address.

So, thanks again, but even if my ancestor is there I'm not sure how I could identifier her.

The entries are sad to look at, even more so because they don't seem to record any details of the incumbent's family or address.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 20:49 BST (UK) »
There are ways you might be able to narrow down entries in institutions. For example, select religion, marital status and place of birth to see if anything jumps out as worth investigating. Also, although they can be incorrect, ages might help- I usually do not put an age into search box but after the results show then sort by age.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you.