Author Topic: Thomas Guy of Crooked Lane  (Read 537 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Thomas Guy of Crooked Lane
« on: Monday 20 May 24 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am looking for some help with Thomas Guy of Crooked Lane London and Ascot Heath/Sunninghill Berkshire for whom I offer the following information:

Eliza Ann Guy born 24 Jun baptized 18 Aug 1825 at St Mary Abchurch to Thomas & Elizabeth Guy of Crooked Lane, a builder.

Thomas Barringer Guy born 8 May baptized 29 July 1827 at St Michael Crooked Lane to Thomas & Elizabeth Guy of Ascot Heath, a builder.

Alfred & Frederick Guy (twins) baptized 14 September 1829 at Sunninghill Berkshire to Thomas & Elizabeth Guy, a builder.  Alfred is buried 25 February 1833 and Frederick is buried 15 March 1833, both at St Michael Crooked Lane, both living in Crooked Lane.

Thomas Guy is on the London Electoral Register in 1834 residing in Crooked Lane.  He is then on the Berkshire Electoral Register in 1841, 1842 & 1843 owning a cottage on Ascot Heath while residing at 6 Crooked Lane London.

I could not find a Guy on the 1841 Census at either Ascot Heath or Crooked Lane.  I think I have the mother Elizabeth 50yo servant born in county and son Thomas 14yo clerk not born in county living in Upper Albany Street Marylebone.

Land Tax was assessed on a building in Crooked Lane occupied by some-one surnamed Guy from 1832 to 1885.  The entries from 1832 to 1852 are noted as “Thomas Guy” or “late Guy”, thereafter just as “Guy”.  The lower or crooked end of Crooked Lane was demolished in the mid-1830’s for the access road to the New London Bridge; the upper end disappeared in the mid-1880’s for similar reasons.

Eliza Guy marries Thomas Foulis 30 Dec 1855 at St Luke Old Street giving her father as Thomas Guy wire worker and witnessed by Thos B Guy her brother.

Thomas Barringer Guy marries Emma Chapman 29 May 1850 at St George Camberwell giving his father as Thomas Guy wire worker.

I cannot locate a birth, marriage, or death for Thomas Guy or his wife Elizabeth.

Some online trees suggest the marriage of Thomas Guy to Elizabeth Low dated 21 January 1813 at St Marylebone to be him along with additional children Louisa born 1814, Richard born 1816, George born 1817 and Elizabeth born 1823.  I am not convinced this is the correct family.

Any thoughts or other information would be helpful and appreciated.

Cheers, Colin
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Guy of Crooked Lane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 24 06:40 BST (UK) »
Have you found where the name Barringer fits in?

It's probably on the father's side.

Do you think they separated ?
I only ask as Thomas Barringer Guy filed for divorce from his wife  5 December 1872, Granted 29 May 1873, Final 24 February 1874 

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 24 06:55 BST (UK) »
The witness at the marriage to Elizabeth Low was Isabella Caroline Guy. Did you get anywhere with her name?

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 24 07:34 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find where Barringer comes from as I can't get back any further.  It could be a wife's or a grandparent's name or just an important person's names they wanted to use.

I have not been able to see how Isabella Caroline Guy fits in as a mother/sister/cousin/aunt?

I am well aware of the divorce (the wife slept with the lodger) and don't need anything else coming forward.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 00:38 »
I have found Isabella Caroline Guy.  She was baptised 3 Nov 1785 in Compton Bassett Wiltshire, the third child of Jacob Guy & Mary White.  The family moved over to Clyffe Pypard and had seven more children of which Thomas Guy was baptised 12 Feb 1792.

This makes Thomas 21 years old when he married Elizabeth Low in 1813.

However, I still cannot connect this Thomas Guy to Crooked Lane or Ascot Heath.

And Barringer is still elusive.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:35 »

Some online trees suggest the marriage of Thomas Guy to Elizabeth Low dated 21 January 1813 at St Marylebone to be him along with additional children Louisa born 1814, Richard born 1816, George born 1817 and Elizabeth born 1823.  I am not convinced this is the correct family.

Could be Elizabeth nee Low in 1851

St George Martyr, Finsbury

Elizabeth Guy   70   Head widow b Scotland
George Guy  34 Son unmarried b Middlesex
Elizabeth Guy 28 Daughter  unmarried b Middlesex
Richard Guy 10 Grandson
Anna Guy 4 Granddaughter

And I did find Elizabeth (Low) in 1861 with widowed son Richard. but closed window and can't find it again.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:56 »
Found the 1861 now
Piece number 190 Folio 44 Page 41

Elizabeth was age 81, b Hamilton, Lanarkshire. She died later in 1861,
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 13:51 »
'possibly Elizabeth nee Low and family in 1841
Piece number 670, Book number 8, Folio number 27, Page number 16

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 13:55 »
So we have two Elizabeth Guys, both married to a Thomas Guy. But do we have two Thomas Guys?
Could Thomas have married Elizabeth Low, left her after a few years, then gone to live with another Elizabeth, but not able to marry her otherwise it would be bigamy.
Was the second Elizabeth's surname Barringer?