Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 26th May 2024  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 26th May 2024
« Reply #36 on: Friday 24 May 24 11:29 BST (UK) »
Rena, things come full circle sometimes, from a Lancashire background when the mills were still in full production ,it grieved my husband when in the 1960’s on business trips to India,he saw Lancashire looms being unloaded on the Bombay docks for the weaving industry there.
Whilst others were being smashed up in the mills in Lancashire ,a very sad period .

The industry had no doubt mostly run on what was little better than slave labour ,long hours ,poor pay and Dickensian work rules and poor housing   - much built by mill owners .

It needed improving ,but why was it almost totally stopped?
Whole towns losing the mills and subsidiary industries that supplied the machines and maintained them .
As with coal mining ,when the pit closes it affects so much else,so with the mills.
Brigidmac, what a very interesting visit ,I love cemeteries ,usually so peaceful .
At Sunday School and Chapel we walked down the central path - the only path - through the graveyard of the little chapel , with old graves and more recent ones on both sides, so in a way always visitors on Sundays .
If we were early and Sunday School not yet open we would walk through
and were familiar with the names etc of the other children’s antecedents .
Not gloomy or gruesome at all.

Many thanks for Birthday wishes , some lovely flowers from grandson,Flash Harry,Kyra, and their mummy .
Cards etc and had my present from number one son-some perennials  for the garden( they are in Rhodes) sister,sister in law,work colleague I was at school with , number two son a new oxygenator for my little pond .

A cool but sunny day .
Gammon steaks for  tea ,so not much cooking .
Thanks again for the kind wishes
Am going to further sort  out my wardrobes ,get rid of things too big and not worn for a good while.You watch- I will probably gain weight - Sod’ s law!
Who was Sod?

Cheerio , best wishes to anyone else whose birthday is today .
Viktoria.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 24 May 24 16:53 BST (UK) »
The cemetary visit was incredible
It was supposed to finish at 12 but overran by 45 minutes

I knew more more about murdered girl Norah Payne than the guide because I researched her . The boyfriend / stalker + the neighbours when I found she was murdered in alleyway entrance to my flat  1944

Topic is on one of the boards

Met some lovely people..
1 wants me to do the reenactment route again .

Have spent all afternoon with crafters at community textile hub
Planning storytelling  songs & simple sign language session 1st June
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 24 May 24 17:31 BST (UK) »
Been quite a nice day here in Essex, hope it has been for you Viktoria

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 24 May 24 17:34 BST (UK) »
Rena, things come full circle sometimes, from a Lancashire background when the mills were still in full production ,it grieved my husband when in the 1960’s on business trips to India,he saw Lancashire looms being unloaded on the Bombay docks for the weaving industry there.
Whilst others were being smashed up in the mills in Lancashire ,a very sad period .

The industry had no doubt mostly run on what was little better than slave labour ,long hours ,poor pay and Dickensian work rules and poor housing   - much built by mill owners .

It needed improving ,but why was it almost totally stopped?
Whole towns losing the mills and subsidiary industries that supplied the machines and maintained them .
As with coal mining ,when the pit closes it affects so much else,so with the mills.

Cheerio , best wishes to anyone else whose birthday is today .
Viktoria.

Many Happy Returns of the Day from me too Viktoria.

You were wondering why the cotton mills struggled and then closed down.  When a country approaches another country to open up trade both countries need to agree to an exchange of trade; e.g. you buy our pottery and we'll allow you to import your glassware into our country.   When Thatcher came into power Britain had built a prototype of an extremely modern aeroplane but we didn't have the money to build and sell them, so Thatcher arranged for the USA to have our blueprints (drawings) and in exchange they would allow us to sell specific steel products to them..  Unfortunately, the only steel products the USA bought were nuts and bolts from Guest, Keen & Nettlefold Ltd.  Just like earlier years, the American President quoted some American protection laws which forbids disclosing American secrets and this British designed plane now belonged to America.

I think the influx of very cheap (and badly sewn) foreign made jeans during Ted Heath's reign started the wane of the British cotton material industry.  I mention him because when people complained about the youngsters, especially girls, were wearing denim jeans instead of skirts for girls and grey worsted trousers for boys he was asked his opinion and it wasn't a negative one.   I used to make most of mine and our children's clothes, until the local material shop had a fire and didn't reopen.  My Scottish made Singer Sewing machine had been bought as a wedding present from my father to my mother in 1938 and I still have it.  As was normal, our family were hard up after the war and rationing meant saving coupons until sufficient were saved to buy items of clothing. My mother and I were frantically cutting out and sewing white material for two school blouses the day before I started the "big"  school.  I hadn't sewn the collars on exactly right and I was always having to adjust it so that teachers could see my tie.   Also handed down to me are my grandma's and my mother's sets of knitting needles, as well as my own more modern sized ones for double knitting and "chunky" wools which weren't on the market when grandma was alive. 

Another industry that was squeezed down in size was British shoe manufacturing.  Travelling along the Rossendale Valley it used to be full of shoe manufacturers.   After 1997 the then thought was the UK should concentrate on computer skills.  I used to attend the local college student's end of term shoe design exhibition until that department was closed down and the tutor went down south to open a private school.   I remember a local advert that had vacancies for jobs with in house training in computer literacy.  My oldest son was amongst the 1000+ people that applied. This number was slowly whittled down and my son managed to have six interviews  but wasn't taken on - never mind - it was training for future interviews, many, many of them during that period of unemployment.  He and a pal, both aged 24, eventually trudged through Africa, sailed down the River Congo and wrote a book about it  Years later he read an article which described him as being a Belgian, how anyone can think a Lancastrian dialect is Belgian is beyond me.  lol.

If anyone has seen the price of some shoes these days your eyes would have boggled at the extortionate price they are, just because they are "designer shoes"..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 24 May 24 22:47 BST (UK) »
A little belated but wishing you a Very Happy Birthday Viktoria, hope you’ve had a lovely day with lots of 🥂🎂💐😊.

Great descriptions Rena of past times all fascinating, you learn so much from all these knowledgeable people on RC! Very interested to hear what the book title was that your son and friend wrote too.

Better day weather wise today although it started off a bit iffy… went for a walk with friend today and must have changed my mind on what to wear at least 4 times! In the end wore to much ( as usual) and had taken off body warmer and fleece before we got past the end of the road!

Finally got the sticks up in the two tubs my sweet peas are in and string wouknd round and all plants linked up to get climbing 🤞!

Hoping to get hanging basket plants tomorrow and planted up over the w/e in between the rain 😢.

Have an enjoyable w/e everyone and let’s hope for more sunshine! We need it as well as the plants.

Best wishes

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 24 May 24 23:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks folks for your wishes for my Birthday.
A quiet day ,but cards ,presents and phone calls .
Flash Harry and Kyra phoned as I had made a point of thanking them ( and their parents) for my cards and presents,F,H, was at school but I had sent him an email and he replied by phone when he got home.
His parents are very keen on them saying thank you so  I had to be sure to do the same .

Off to bed soon, finished a good book but won’t start another tonight.
Had a partial sort out of clothes much too big for me now, so Charity shop tomorrow before I put them back in the wardrobes !!!

Look after yourselves , we are a special band ,never meeting but very supportive and friendly .
Kind regards to you all.
Viktoria.
P.S just found a message from Flash Harry and Kyra ,she is “ playing “a musical instrument ,all squeaks and whistles while he sings Happy Birthday” 
😆😆😆😆😆
Viktoria.“

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 25 May 24 00:21 BST (UK) »
& a late happy birthday from me too.

I've had a lovely day but I'm tired now .
Back to the textile exhibition tomorrow to get instructions for opening up the place on Saturday 21st

I'm going to have a pay as you feel tin for workshops and some books for sale + for prizes .   

I'm raising money for flight to Morrocco.   To help with a 9 year old whose mother died suddenly.
I will be housed & fed and will take some books ...maybe to sell there or donate to his school.
& I will fit in some traditional storytelling...on a carpet in Marrakech market ... hopefully next to a snake charmer .there was 1 there 8 years ago ...I will be using international sign language & not quite bilingual french but have to brush up my rusty Arabic.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 25 May 24 01:33 BST (UK) »
Happy Birthday Victoria ! (probably belated)  it was my Grandson's birthday too.
Thank you very much for the insight into the weaving demise. I have a former weaver friend. I shall relay this to. Also thank you Rena for your explanation.
Also, I really appreciate the opportunity to exchange thoughts on here, thank you to everyone. It's so uplifting sometimes to read stuff which confirms I'm not the odd one out around here.
and... Brigidmac that's brilliant  :D

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 25 May 24 05:09 BST (UK) »
A belated Happy Birthday Viktoria from New Zealand.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.