Author Topic: Free Church Training School Glasgow. 1865-67  (Read 215 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Free Church Training School Glasgow. 1865-67
« on: Thursday 23 May 24 19:25 BST (UK) »

Hello, I am researching my husbands (Valentine) family.. the attached school report (1 of 3) was found amongst photographs etc. I am trying to discover more information regarding the School. My husband's great grandfather George Valentine (b1848) studied there but I can't find a photograph that looks like the building on the report or information pertaining to the 1860's. Any help appreciated.

Patricia V
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Free Church Training School Glasgow. 1865-67
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 24 19:39 BST (UK) »

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 24 19:48 BST (UK) »

Many thanks I will take a look see what I can find... PV
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 24 20:37 BST (UK) »
Here's a photo of the teacher that signed his report.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerr_(physicist)

S_L

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 24 20:45 BST (UK) »

That's brilliant, thank you, I didn't expect a photograph of his Tutor... PV

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 24 21:02 BST (UK) »
According to Jordanhill College of Education archives the Free Church buildings were at Dundas Vale and Cowcaddens.

It looks like the building in the drawing was expanded, photos here of it at a much later stage but the central part is still recognisable. The address reads as 121 Cowcaddens on the sign in the photo.
https://canmore.org.uk/site/167440/glasgow-119-125-cowcaddens-street-former-college-of-weaving

Potted history here:
https://atom.lib.strath.ac.uk/glasgow-free-church-training-college

S_L

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 May 24 16:48 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the photo, we also have two other reports for George, who appeared to be an excellent student, one was signed by a Thomas Morrison and the other by an Edmund Boyd... I found a wonderful caricature of Thomas but nothing for Edmund..

....Thomas Morrison (d 1898) was Rector of the Free Church Normal Seminary 1852-1898.

Educated at King's College Aberdeen, Morrison became Rector of the Free Church School in Inverness before coming to the Seminary in Cowcaddens Street. He was the author of the Manual of School Management and The Scotch Training Colleges. In 1875 Morrison was elected President of the Educational Institute of Scotland.

Morrison's son Thomas succeeded him as Rector 1905-1908, and his brother Donald was the Rector of Glasgow Academy.

Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning

... Just for your information, George did not take up the teaching profession, he went on to study medicine at Glasgow Uni ...
George Valentine of Girvan Ayrshire. M.B. Glasgow. and C.M. 1873 (Uni Glasgow)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 May 24 23:05 BST (UK) »
Edmund was 'Master of Method', according to the Post Office directory for 1866-67
https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/84391441

S_L

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 May 24 15:01 BST (UK) »
Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 2 Feb 1867