Author Topic: 1681 will  (Read 151 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1681 will
« on: Friday 24 May 24 05:38 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help me with a transcript of the attached will.  I've had a go at it and ended up with the text below.  It's the words represented by dots that I'm stumped with and I hope the rest of it is ok.
Thanks heaps

First I bequeath my soul into the hands of allmighty god my maker hoping that through the meritorious death and passion of Jesus christ my only saviour and redeemer to receive  free pardon for my sins and as for my body to be buried in christian burial at the discretion of the executrix hereafter nominated.
Item I give unto my wife 14 ….. sheep.  Item I give unto my wife ….cowes [cows] and there [their] bullokes [bullocks] a moar [mare] and ……… …….. and tow [two] ……………. To …….and all …… goods with out …. And within.  Item I give unto my son John Duling forty diems my wife for to pay all my debts and legacies and make her sole executrix of this my last will and testament revoking all over wills and testaments.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1681 will
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 May 24 11:29 BST (UK) »
Suggested reading below ...

Item I give unto my wife 14 skore [score] sheep. Item I give unto my wife fouare [four?] cowes and there bullokes a mear [mare] and coulets [colts] socking [sucking]

and tow hothear [other] coulets [colts] to [two] hokes [hogs] and all hothear [other] goods with out

doer [doors] and within  Item I give unto my son John Duling forty

poins [pounds] my wife for to pay all my debts …

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 May 24 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox for that great transcription.  I was way out in thinking John inherited diems.  Wow 40 pounds was a lot of money, and as he was only 5 years old I wonder if he ever received it or if his mother's second husband got hold of it.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 May 24 08:06 BST (UK) »
I was way out in thinking John inherited diems.  Wow 40 pounds was a lot of money, and as he was only 5 years old I wonder if he ever received it or if his mother's second husband got hold of it.

I'm pretty confident it's written poins. But given the spelling in this will, I suppose it might mean pence rather than pounds? Hard to say.

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 24 01:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I guess John Duling could mean pence but I like pounds better!  And they were a fairly wealthy family.  Thanks