Author Topic: Robert OLIVER date and place of birth query, Liverpool 1879?  (Read 395 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert OLIVER date and place of birth query, Liverpool 1879?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 24 23:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks ColC, CaroleW, Dundee, Tazzie, Ciderdrinker, Wivenhoe and Haliared for your interest and postings, which are much appreciated.

To answer your questions/suggestions:
# 2 I will follow up on your link to arrival info on ss "Rimutaka"  to see if I can find anything further to rule him in or out.
# 3 Noted Robert's death and Will info
#7 & 8 - I am in contact with a direct descendent of Honora (Nora).  They would like to know who is  Robert Oliver, as he medals have been handed down through the family.  So far they have been unable to find a connection.
My interest? - this piqued my interest and I am seeking to help the family.  Also I have been doing some military research; ie updating my list of participants at the Battles of Gate Pa/Te Ranga in 1864 in NZ.  Also helping to identify/contact family of WW2 soldiers of the 28th Maori Battalion who had unclaimed medals.

I had hoped that the Public Service List might contain the name of Robert Oliver  as he worked for Public Works in Clyde, and possibly a DOB but so far his name has not been found.  Will keep looking!

TPB

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 24 07:11 BST (UK) »
Some other ideas..

Could sister Norah actually be a sister in law. What do you know about Mr Rodger's parents?

A long shot...There is also a Robert Oliver who has the alias James McDonald mentioned in the newspaper in 1903.... What became of him?

Robert Oliver's military papers mentioned an anchor tattoo. Was he ever in the merchant navy?

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/THD19030321.2.30?items_per_page=10&page=12&query=%22Robert+Oliver%22+&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 24 09:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Fiddlerslass for your suggestions.

RE 1903 reference to Robert Oliver.  I have ruled him out as the Police Gazette refers to him being a native of NZ b 1882.  There is a birth 1882/5007 for a Robert Oliver parents James Oliver/Elizabeth.

Charles Rodgers according to his WW1 file has his birth as 27 October 1882, Port Chalmers, NZ.  There is a Henry Charles Rodgers b 1883/177774 parents Charles Henry Rodgers/Mary [Clarke m 1881/1886].  Mary appears to have been born 1865/27693.  Will look into this family further re sister-in-law possibility?

I hadn't thought about the possibility of Robert being in the merchant navy so will look into this - thanks for the suggestion.

TPB

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 24 10:15 BST (UK) »
Could he have been the illegitimate child of a member of the family and brought up as a sibling to Nora or found that he was a sibling of Nora's born out of wedlock and unofficially adopted by an Oliver family? I don't know the family or the dates so don't know if that is a possibility.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 May 24 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks haliared.
Yes a possibility.  Honora (Nora) was b 1883 and married Charles Rodgers in 1908
Honora's Mother Margaret McMullan b Antrim c1861 married Henry McCarthy, Seaman in 1885 in NZ.  A Bridget McMullan was a witness to their marriage so I had wondered if their is a connection?

Still trying to find when Robert Oliver and Margaret/Bridget McMullen arrived in NZ.
I have asked a family member if they have Margaret's death certificate, and to check if it records how long she was in NZ?

TPB

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 June 24 02:56 BST (UK) »
I have checked the Lancashire OPC baptisms with no success.  Also the Crew List Index Project (CLIP) with no success either.
Also checked the NZ Dunedin West 1914 electoral roll (main October 1914 and Supplementary November 1914) to see if anybody else residing at 72A Dowling street with no success but have noted those living at 72 and 70 Dowling street.
Did find on Paperspast, Otago Daily Times 7 Aug 1914 pg 1 an advertisement "Furnished rooms to let terms moderate 72A Dowling street (same entrance as Girton College [Dunedin]" so Robert Oliver likely to have only been boarding sometime between Nov 1914 [date of Supp electoral roll] and 30 Dec 1914 when he underwent his military medical exam.
I am coming to the conclusion that "Robert Oliver" is an assumed name?

Have searched the Rodgers/Rogers, McMullen, McCarthy families and not found any connection to a Robert Oliver.

Does anybody have any other thoughts/conclusions as to where I could search next?

TPB

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 05:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this is 'my' Robert OLIVER but have found the following on Ancestry;

R OLIVER b c 1879 age 31 Place of birth: Liverpool
depart Papua via Brisbane arrive Sydney 5/12/1910 on the ss "Matunga"
Ch Cook

"Matunga" depart New Guinea arrive 25/10/1910 Sydney??  R OLIVER 31 years
Ch Cook

On Mariners in NSW Waters website
Not on "Matunga" as at 12/5/1913; Jan 1913; 10/11/1911 and 5/2/1912

Note: Built in Glasgow for Mersey Steamship & Co, Liverpool and originally named "Zweena".  Purchased by Burns Philp & Co Ltd in 1910 for British Solomon Islands Service.

Question:  Where are the Mersey Steamship Co, Liverpool records held - are they online???

Thanks
TPB