Author Topic: There are people I don't know buried in one of our family graves  (Read 2013 times)

Offline JackYorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There are people I don't know buried in one of our family graves
« on: Saturday 25 May 24 18:08 BST (UK) »
As I've been slowly researching my family tree, I've been finding graves. I have come across one where I'm stumped. This one is in Bowling Cemetery, Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.

It is the grave of Robert Wilkinson Booth (died 1936), Martha Clough (died 1945) and Raymond Boocock (died 1930 - infant). That makes sense as Robert and Martha are Raymond's grandparents. However, I've been told by Bradford Council that there are two people I don't know anything about also buried in the grave:
Sarah Ann Robinson
Death: 19.05.1905
Burial: 23.05.1905

Fred Hepworth
Death: 26.11.1908
Burial: 30.11.1908

I don't know who either of them are. There are related Robinsons, but the connection is weak - daughter's husband's
Grandmother.

So I've been researching Sarah Ann and Fred, but I can't find any information on them - only that Fred died in Bradford, which I already knew. My searches are coming up blank. A census, marriage, birth or baptism would at least show some family connections.

As Sarah Ann was buried first it seems likely the grave was purchased for her, so it would make sense for her to be part of the family.

Am I missing something here? Where else could I be searching? Is there anything else out there for Sarah Ann or Fred that im not seeing?

Thanks for your help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: There are people I don't know buried in one of our family graves
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 24 18:52 BST (UK) »
Sometimes the connection isn't straightforward. In the 1970s I contacted a cemetery for details on a family plot. My great-great-grandparents, a granddaughter who died young, their son, second his wife and some of their children plus his first wife. Also in the list was the most recent burial- what seemed to be a stranger. Turned out to be the second wife's sister who lived with the family for years. The strange thing was that my father's cousin had also checked the plot with the cemetery but that was before the last burial so it wasn't until I started searching he got the updated details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 May 24 22:16 BST (UK) »
My great, great grandfather was buried in 1927 in a Oxford cemetery in the same grave as an Ann Bough who died in 1912. She was from Wexford in Ireland and I think it was a case of being buried in the grave with a stranger as I have never been able to find a link between the two people.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 May 24 22:18 BST (UK) »
Looking at births, guessing Fred is also the 1908 Bradford birth MMN Turner, there is a marriage of a Lily Turner to William Hepworth 1906, Bradford

and 1911 Heaton Street

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWJ2-3VL

Baptised at Bowling, St. John

Fred and Edmund 30 Sep 1908 (some reason as Lily Crossland on the transcription page but it is not written on the register) address 20 Quill Street

Checking the GRO, Edmund- MMN Turner

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 May 24 22:23 BST (UK) »
Only a thought - perhaps the grave was on a limited timescale - did the family only "own" it for a designated time?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 24 09:49 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find a Sarah Ann Robinson in the 1901 census, and the strongest possibilities seem to be these two:

837 Barkerend Road (RG13/4151 fo124 p11) - Sarah A Robinson as wife, but no husband present; also an unmarried daughter Alice M Storey, age 25. GRO index suggests Alice's mother's maiden name was Redsdale. FreeBMD has the marriage of Sarah Ann Storey to Harry Robinson in 1885.

27 Violet Court - in the Bowling area (RG13/4145 fo15 p21) - Sarah Ann wife of Lewis K Robinson; possible marriage in the Halifax district in 1875 of Lewis Robinson and Sarah Ann Jubb (from FreeBMD).

Do any of those extra surnames ring a bell? (But do check these for yourself, and there might be other possibilities that I've missed.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 May 24 12:07 BST (UK) »
if you get to look at the Bowling registers themselves , they should have an address for the deceased. In several instances an infant will also have a named mother and father.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 May 24 12:23 BST (UK) »
Several of my ancestors are buried in a family plot in the Ramshorn Kirk in Glasgow . However there is one burial, interred while the plot was still in active use by the family, of someone who seems to be entirely unconnected with my family. I say “unconnected” but bizarrely there is now a connection as this mysterious lady is my wife's greatx3 grandmother!
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline JackYorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 May 24 12:58 BST (UK) »
Looking at births, guessing Fred is also the 1908 Bradford birth MMN Turner, there is a marriage of a Lily Turner to William Hepworth 1906, Bradford

and 1911 Heaton Street

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWJ2-3VL

Baptised at Bowling, St. John

Fred and Edmund 30 Sep 1908 (some reason as Lily Crossland on the transcription page but it is not written on the register) address 20 Quill Street

Checking the GRO, Edmund- MMN Turner

Thank you, that's very helpful. I will look those up.

Sorry, just to clarify, what does MMN mean?