Author Topic: There are people I don't know buried in one of our family graves  (Read 2034 times)

Offline JackYorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: There are people I don't know buried in one of our family graves
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:35 BST (UK) »
When you consulted Bradford Council did they tell you IF the rights to burial were purchased and, if so, when and by whom?
Did they say if there is a headstone on the plot? (which indicates the rights of burial were purchased)

Boo

They can't tell me details of people who I don't already know about because of Data Protection. They can only confirm who owns the grave if I ask them "Does X person own the grave?" Rather frustrating!

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:40 BST (UK) »
The Bradford Parochial Voters Register 1896 (GENUK) gives the residents of the city by street who are entitled to vote.  No. 20 isn't on the list, but then so are other numbers missing.  Does this mean it was rented...I'm not sure what the rules were 'back in the day'.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:41 BST (UK) »
If they looked in the graves register for you, could they have misread an 8 as a 5? :-\
Death
June 1908 Bradford 9b 29
Robinson, Sarah Ann   
Age 55   

Fred was buried in 1908. 
Unless Sarah Ann Robinson and Fred Hepworth turn out to be related, could it originally have been a public grave that was purchased by your family when, or some time after, Raymond was buried in 1930?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 May 24 16:20 BST (UK) »
could it originally have been a public grave that was purchased by your family when, or some time after, Raymond was buried in 1930
I recently did some research for a friend who couldn’t understand why four people unknown to her were buried in what she described as ‘her great grandfather’s’ grave, and why he wasn’t mentioned on the headstone. She had developed all sorts of intricate conspiracy theories as to why this had happened.

The answer was simply that it had been a public grave at the time of his burial but that the burial rights had subsequently been purchased by another family who had then erected a headstone which related only to their family and made no mention of him.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 May 24 16:23 BST (UK) »
If they looked in the graves register for you, could they have misread an 8 as a 5? :-\
Death
June 1908 Bradford 9b 29
Robinson, Sarah Ann   
Age 55

If jonw65 is right about this, my 1901 census investigations (see Reply #5) will need to be revisited, because I used a fairly narrow age span. I can't do it just now, but I'll try to get round to it later, unless someone else gets there first.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 May 24 20:28 BST (UK) »
Some more from 1901 - the ones which seemed most likely:

RG13/4168 fo74 p13 - Royd St; age 48, wife of Israel; household includes Mary Schofield mother-in-law
RG13/4149 fo76 p29 - ?Mashington St; age 50, wife of Wright
RG13/4151 fo215 p6 - Garnett Sq; age 47, single
RG13/4147 fo87 p32 - John William St; age 46?, married but head; born Shropshire
RG13/4150 fo57 p25 - Gay Lane; age 46; single, with unmarried older sister Ann
RG13/4145 fo15 p21 - Violet Court, wife of Lewis (as above) [EDIT: looked again and it's Louis]

Some of these are just Sarah; I haven't done any investigations beyond the census, and I'm afraid I don't have time for them now.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 May 24 20:34 BST (UK) »
From last night, I thought it could be a Sarah Ann Call who married Louis Robinson in Shipley 1 April 1872, residence Bowling and his occupation is ginger beer maker; he was a soda maker 1891. There's a Mary Jane Robinson Q3 1872 MMN Call checking the GRO, and he is as Louis Kossith 1891 census with Sarah Ann and Mary Jane

Louis marries again to Harriet Garside and his address for probate 1925 has him at 14 Quill Street!

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 May 24 21:19 BST (UK) »
Apologies, on marriage residence is Shipley for both parties, earlier census returns has Sarah Ann Call born in Bowling.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 May 24 13:37 BST (UK) »
Louis marries again to Harriet Garside and his address for probate 1925 has him at 14 Quill Street!

Same address for them in the 1911 census (RG14/26753 sch128) - they'd been married for a year.

Added:
Louis is a mineral water maker (worker), and at 20 Quill Street (where Fred Hepworth lived) is a Robert Robinson, single, mineral water manufacturer (employer).

Robert is at 20 Quill St in 1901 too, with his widowed mother Mary as head, and her grandson Riley Kitson (RG13/4149 fo139 p7).