Author Topic: Revisiting brickwalls and "backburners".  (Read 2066 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Revisiting brickwalls and "backburners".
« on: Saturday 25 May 24 20:10 BST (UK) »
I think we all have ancestors who we see as on the back burner. Brickwalls whom we keep in mind and occasionally revisit them to see if anything new crops up. As we know it is not easy and often we are no more knowledgeable than before, but we still keep them on the backburner. One day we may strike lucky. But if you focus too much on a certain brickwall it can become overwhelming so best to leave that line for a while.

For instance, using an example, my ancestor James Gater, a maltster of Burford, Oxfordshire. Born c1680, died 1737 in Burford. No instances of the surname seem to be in Burford before his 1711 marriage to Hannah Bayliss, and he did not leave a will. I have a beady eye on the James Gater born in 1679 in Lambourn, Berkshire, about 15 miles south of Burford, son of Wm and Eliz. But it is tough trying to establish if they are the same person, or even if they are not. James's son James Gater born 1714 took on a Thomas Wentworth as a baker apprentice in 1745 in Burford and there seems to be several Wentworth families in the Lambourn area and Bedwyn Wilts. James Gater Snr seemed to have work connections to Gt Rissington in Gloucestershire.

And another example is my ancestor John Lucking (c1722-1786) of Foulness, Essex, his age at death was said to be 64 in 1786. I found a website about 20 years ago (long taken down now but seemed legit) which said he was the 1722 born son of Isaiah Lucking and Hannah who moved from nearby Shoebury to Foulness in the late 1720s. But I also found a John Lucking born 1725 in Shoebury to John and Mary Lucking (seems John Snr was a Shoebury parish clerk later on). A John Lucking was buried in Shoebury in 1727, no info as to whether infant or not but not John the clerk as him and Mary had children up to about 1740.

My John (c1722-1786) wed Eliz Otley in 1752 in Foulness and did not have any known children called Isaiah. But it is likely the John born 1722 and John born 1725 were first cousins. But it seems through witnesses to marriages, my John (c1722-1876) had a sister Mary (also known as Eliz) who wed Tho Harper in 1744 in North Shoebury. A Mary Lucking was born 1723 in Shoebury to John and Mary Lucking. Isaiah never seemed to have any known children called Eliz or Mary in the 1720s. But had a Jane and Joseph, as did John Lucking and Mary. Isaiah Lucking's family has been traced back quite a long way to vicars of Bucks, Leicestershire and Yorkshire.

Above are just 2 examples of brickwalls that I occasionally revisit and try to chip away at.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting brickwalls and "backburners".
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:54 BST (UK) »
I have 'brick walls' in each of the 5 trees (3 from my side and 2 from Himself's); like you, Coombs, I 'pop in' occasionally and have an hour's blast picking away at the slightest hint.  During lockdown, though, I had a better idea.  I've always loved the 'Shoebox', so much so that I had 32 pages.  So, I devoted 4 'sessions' to going through each entry.  Well, a lot of the entries could just be axed, as research since had ruled them out.  But it was surprising how many entries were actually a person I had been looking for...consequently, my 'Shoebox' is now down to 7 pages - but creeping up once again very slowly.  My main stumbling blocks now are lack of real evidence as I go further back into the 18th centuries and further...and, in 2 cases, trying to match up 2 branches of what I believe are the same family.  One day... ???
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 24 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have 'brick walls' in each of the 5 trees (3 from my side and 2 from Himself's); like you, Coombs, I 'pop in' occasionally and have an hour's blast picking away at the slightest hint.  During lockdown, though, I had a better idea.  I've always loved the 'Shoebox', so much so that I had 32 pages.  So, I devoted 4 'sessions' to going through each entry.  Well, a lot of the entries could just be axed, as research since had ruled them out.  But it was surprising how many entries were actually a person I had been looking for...consequently, my 'Shoebox' is now down to 7 pages - but creeping up once again very slowly.  My main stumbling blocks now are lack of real evidence as I go further back into the 18th centuries and further...and, in 2 cases, trying to match up 2 branches of what I believe are the same family.  One day... ???

Usually, as we know FH gets harder the further back you go.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 24 15:58 BST (UK) »
I keep periodically hacking away at the Keatings and Cummins lot that seem so elusive. Some day I may sort them out - very mysterious lots, both. And I know so little of those Irish roots.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 24 21:50 BST (UK) »
2 of my ancestors vanished after a certain year, turned out one went to Australia and the other to the USA.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 24 10:33 BST (UK) »
I revisit brickwalls too.  Last night I revisited one and wanted to consult the wonderful Roads family tree that used to be available on Rootsweb, alas no longer.  :-(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 24 10:59 BST (UK) »
Mine are the Pearson family from around Birstall in Yorkshire.

A Mary Pearson married an Eli Collins in 1768 and they went on to have 7 children.  Eli passed in 1801 and Mary in 1828.

I have two 25cM+ DNA matches linking to one of their children and dozens more linking to their descendants.

The Collins family are no problem and they go back another century before records dry up.

Mary Pearson’s parentage is in doubt then there is Mary Pearson to deal with.

Yes there are two Mary Pearson’s!

The second married a John Weldrake in 1776 and she had at least three children with him and from two of those children I have descendants of each of them who are DNA matches to me.

Eight years on and still the Brickwall.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 24 11:25 BST (UK) »
My Wife’s family folklore is that James Allen and his two daughters came over from Ireland in about the 1880’s.

Nope!

They were all born in Manchester, they just lived in an Irish enclave in the City and had English parents, grandparents.  The BMD records are there and we have all the certificates.

My Wife’s admixture has Zero Irish heritage.

We keep revisiting, but keep getting the same result.

It is not helped in having no DNA matches down James Allen’s line.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 24 14:12 BST (UK) »
Is it something to do with those knobbly, gnarled Irish roots, for us all?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)