Author Topic: ASHCROFT Family  (Read 215 times)

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
ASHCROFT Family
« on: Sunday 26 May 24 04:22 BST (UK) »
I am chasing any descendants of Isabella b1904, Aaron 1908, Catherine 1912 and Adeline 1916. and also anyone connected to W Ashcroft Motor Haulage Armstrong Road Bensham.

In particular Aaron Ashcroft b1908.Gateshead.

They were my Granddads step siblings. Elizabeth Ann married Francis McGurk in 1918.

Parents of the Ashcroft kids, Aaron Ashcroft b1883 and Elizabeth Ann Bell b 1888 married 26th July 1903 according to Aaron b1883 Military records.(Gateshead Registry Office but cant find marriage. She would have been 14 if date correct)

I was told a sibling was called John/Jack/Jackie Ashcroft but no birth for him so have a feeling Aaron changed his name to John/Jackie after 1921.

John/Jackie was perhaps a Policeman in London or Liverpool. Married with two kids.

In 1921 census, My Francis McGurk was living with Elizabeth Ann and step children, Isabella, Arron, Catherine and Adeline Ashcroft at 22 Rabbit bank Road Gateshead (where my Granddad was born in 1922) and Francis McGurk worked as a Labourer for W ASHCROFT Motor Haulage.

Just trying to put some puzzle pieces together as always.

Thanks.

McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ASHCROFT Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 24 11:43 BST (UK) »
Adeline M Ashcroft birth Q1 1916 Auckland Durham, mmn Bell
the 1921 census entry for the McGurk household has Adeline Mary Ashcroft 5 y 6mo
Adeline M Ashcroft marriage Q4 1937 Newcastle-upon-Tyne, John J Johnson
Adeline M Johnson death Q3 1939 age 24 (abt 1915) Newcastle-upon-Tyne

a tree at A* has Adeline Mary Ashcroft with the expected parents and dying in childbirth, son Eric Johnson 1939-2004
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 24 11:50 BST (UK) »
Slightly off the point, but –as you probably know– Aaron Ashcroft snr is in the 1939 register in the same household as Sarah Elizabeth Ross and a daughter. This seems to be a long-standing relationship since Aaron Ashcroft and Sarah Elizabeth Ross appear at that same address –122 Corbridge Street, Byker– in electoral registers from the 1920s.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 24 13:36 BST (UK) »
Funeral private,
Johnson- Walker,
72 Mitchells Buildings
Adeline Mary Johnson nee Ashcroft, wife of John James Johnson,
21st July,
aged 23 years,
interment Walker Tuesday 25th July 1939,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 24 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. Yes, I have the information all given already, but thank you, as its good to have a second pair of eyes come up with the same information to confirm my details are correct. Much appreciated.

My Great Granddad (Francis McGurk) married Elizabeth Ann Ashcroft nee Bell formerly Todd (first Hubby died) Francis and Elizabeth married in 1918 and had my Granddad in 1922.

She said she was widowed, clearly not as Aaron SNR was alive until 1955 and my Francis McGurk said Bachelor but he was previously married, with a son and his wife didnt die until later on to.

Im interested in descendants of young Aaron 1908. He seems to have vanished.

Family of Ashcrofts I had contact with years ago told me children were Isabella, JOHN/JACKIE Catherine and Adeline Ashcroft not an Aaron but yes, Aaron has come up in my Francis McGurk ( under McYurk transcript error) and I have his birth certificate to confirm Aaron 1908 Parents Aaron and Elizabeth Ann.

Im thinking possibly Aaron changed his name to John as in 1930 Electoral roll an Isabella Ashcroft and a John Ashcroft are with my Elizabeth Ann Sothern, yep, now married a Myles Sothern (yep, 4 marriages)

Im interested in Aaron/John/Jackie, as a person who is a DNA link to my Mum and I, they are rather close DNA and could pass as a sibling in looks to be honest.
John/Jackie Ashcroft was a Policeman maybe London married with two kids.

Persons Father is not listed on their birth certificate.

Name she was given as a Father was a Patrick/Paddy Sothern but he doesnt seem to exist either and even if Myles and Elizabeth Ann now Sothern had a child he would be to young to be this persons Father.

The only person I can think of being her real Father is Aaron/John/Jackie Ashcroft as my Granddads brothers both died well before.

Who ever Im looking for would be born between 1900-1915.
Worked in Hastings Sussex at an Amusement Park arcade for a year or so and a Special Constable directing traffic.
He possibly went to Liverpool and became a Policeman around 1949. (why Im looking for John/Jackie Ashcroft as date of birth and Occupation fit, I know Liverpool and London two different places but one could have been told wrong)
DNA suggests born Gateshead/Durham/Yorkshire and thats where my Granddads side are from.

Any suggestions where to look? Sorry very long and convoluted..

Ele

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 24 08:28 BST (UK) »
What is Aaron’s birthdate in 1908?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 24 08:37 BST (UK) »
My Great Granddad (Francis McGurk) married Elizabeth Ann Ashcroft nee Bell formerly Todd (first Hubby died) Francis and Elizabeth married in 1918 and had my Granddad in 1922.

I don’t understand this as in your first post, you say that Elizabeth Ann Bell ‘would have been 14’.

When was the Todd marriage and death?

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 24 10:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Elizabeth Ann Bell, she often put 88/89 so used to typing that. She was born 17th April 1885 6 Park Road Durham.

Aaron born 28th Oct 1908, 287 High Lanes Heworth Durham to Aaron Ashcroft and Elizabeth Ann Bell.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 24 10:48 BST (UK) »
It is confusing re Elizabeth. Looking at trees, they have her with parents Isaac and Annie.
However, there is a baptism, April 1885 with parents Isaac and Eliza.
The trees which have 1885 as year of birth, still link to Isaac and Annie censuses.

It may not affect your searches but it does help in the bigger picture.