Author Topic: Black Troops during WW2  (Read 270 times)

Offline CultureHealingCommunities

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Black Troops during WW2
« on: Sunday 26 May 24 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Sandra and I work with community heritage projects with a social enterprise, Culture Healing Communities, in Durham.
More than a year ago we started to look into the matter of Black troops in the North of the country, as we could only see references to the South of the country.
We were aware that the North has a rich military heritage, but could not find anything regarding Black troops, either African-American or from the Commonwealth.
I have to say, I have been around this for 18 months now, day after day, week after week, going through thousands of records, phishing out the information where I could find it.
But this is all historical, and we wanted to know about people, individuals, both those that were fighting and the ones that met them, along with families and friends.
Of course, most of the veterans have died, and sometimes the descendants are also deceased.
Most of the records, as we have uncovered through NARA and MoD, were destroyed, and what we have now it's memories that are not being collected or told.
So, next month, June, as we once again speak about D-Day, as 80 years have passed, we will not forget, and we will launch a website with our findings.
But we cannot do this alone, and we are in desperate need of people that can remember, that can tell us about a memory, a finding, a photo, an article, that may have a connection to someone, and that can be with us in a journey to keep these memories somewhere.
Because when we will be gone, then we will have nothing to show to our future generations, about the sacrifices, the ugliness, the carnage... but also about people that have shown kindness to others.
So, please, help us: does anyone remember seeing WW2 Black Troops (African-American or from the Commonwealth) in the areas that include Yorkshire, Northumberland, Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, between 1942 and 1944? If yes, could you please share with us? Thank you, Sandra

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Black Troops during WW2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:02 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:13 BST (UK) »
Other duplicate posts on other boards

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=883009.msg7558446#msg7558446

but how??? I have just posted one and then I received a message to publish in another part, so I did, but how could it duplicate my post? I am really sorry!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:28 BST (UK) »
I think the reply you received advised asking the moderator to move your post to the appropriate board.  By opening a new post on another board it creates a duplicate.

Don't worry about it - it happens a lot.  I have asked the moderator to deal with it for you & the replies I have posted re duplicates will alert other members so hopefully it won't duplicate info🙏🏻🙏🏻
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:30 BST (UK) »
I think the reply you received advised asking the moderator to move your post to the appropriate board.  By opening a new post on another board it creates a duplicate.

Don't worry about it - it happens a lot.  I have asked the moderator to deal with it for you & the replies I have posted re duplicates will alert other members so hopefully it won't duplicate info🙏🏻🙏🏻

thank you very much... what a mess :( now I will not get any reply, ppl will be fed up!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 24 23:07 BST (UK) »
It will be easily sorted & if any members see your post & can help - they will.  That's what RC is all about

You are a new member so please don't worry about it. 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:03 BST (UK) »
It will be easily sorted & if any members see your post & can help - they will.  That's what RC is all about

Thank you, we are looking for people's experiences, memories, maybe a photo or two, but after a year trying to find anyone, I am a bit disheartened.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:16 BST (UK) »

Thank you, we are looking for people's experiences, memories, maybe a photo or two, but after a year trying to find anyone, I am a bit disheartened.

I hope you don’t mind but this is what I thought when I saw the several posts.

You didn’t explain your purpose and your request was vague and duplicated as you have discovered.
It can make people suspicious as occasionally spam posts do get through the security.
You might get more responses if you post the nature of your interests.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:18 BST (UK) »
Yes - I can appreciate that.  To actually remember seeing a black serviceman in that period you are looking for people who are now in their 80's or older