Author Topic: Black Troops during WW2 in Britain  (Read 845 times)

Offline CultureHealingCommunities

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Black Troops during WW2 in Britain
« on: Sunday 26 May 24 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, any chance anyone remembers Black troops in the areas of Yorkshire or Northumberland during WW2, between 1942 and 1944? Thank you, Sandra

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Black Troops during WW2 in Britain
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:00 BST (UK) »
You have several duplicate posts on other boards. 

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=883011.0;topicseen
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:11 BST (UK) »

But I have just published one!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 24 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Which black troops (As you call them) do you mean, members of the British troops, American troops, or Commonwealth forces troops and associated allied counties in occupation who solders managed to get to GT Britain before their counties were occupied by Hitler. (Like Polish or French troops etc)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 24 03:13 BST (UK) »
I saw my first African American about 1946-ish.  One day a neighbour came to the end of his garden where we local children were playing and said his daughter was coming home for a visit and bringing a black American Soldier with her.  His daughter didn't live locally, she'd been posted to an army camp somewhere.   The couple duly arrived and waved to us, at which we squealed excitedly and waved back.

There was a training camp for African American forces in Cottingham and I think Driffield, both places in the East riding of Yorkshire.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 24 07:01 BST (UK) »

But I have just published one!

You posted in Durham, North Yorkshire, Yorkshire East Riding and here.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 24 11:15 BST (UK) »
I saw my first African American about 1946-ish. 
There was a training camp for African American forces in Cottingham and I think Driffield, both places in the East riding of Yorkshire.

Thank you very much, this is wonderful. Would you mind if I include your quote on the website we are preparing? it would be just a quote from your post and you would say if you would like Rena or just something anonymous like 'source' but it is really precious, it shows what we have been saying that everybody were really friendly towards Black American soldiers. (Sandra)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:30 BST (UK) »
Not everyone was happy to Black American soldiers in England during WWII. My sister went to school with a girl whose mother was English (not sure where she lived) and was a GI bride to a white American soldier, I remember her saying that girls she knew married black American men who professed to be Native American rather than African American which cause ill-feeling amongst their families in England.
From another point of view, I worked with a black veteran who said they weren't always treated well by other (white) soldiers and were segregated into their own units. He did, however, say that the people in Britain were much more welcoming when stationed there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:34 BST (UK) »
Please see

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=883011.msg7558670#msg7558670

There are several duplicate posts as per reply above by K Garrad but I have asked the moderator to merge them
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)