Author Topic: Are 'general' ships manifests available to view  (Read 173 times)

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are 'general' ships manifests available to view
« on: Sunday 26 May 24 20:21 BST (UK) »
I've found (on Ancestry) details of my ancestors on the Manifests of 'aliens' travelling by ship from Belfast/Liverpool/Eire to USA. For obvious reasons these are all one way records - from UK to USA.

I'm wondering though, are records available for 'ordinary' citizens travelling to and from USA? In other words, just ordinary passenger lists? If so, where?

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are 'general' ships manifests available to view
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 24 21:48 BST (UK) »
Depends on the dates. There are some lists of incoming passengers to U.K. on some pay sites such as Find My Past (and possibly Ancestry).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 24 00:07 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering though, are records available for 'ordinary' citizens travelling to and from USA? In other words, just ordinary passenger lists?

You mean passengers who weren't emigrating to the USA? Just going for a visit?

I have UK family that were visiting relatives in the USA circa 1907. Then sailed back to the UK.
They appear on the "List of Manifest of Alien Passengers for the United States" records.
Obviously they weren't emigrating, but they're on an Alien Passenger manifest record.
So don't rule them out when searching for someone just going for a visit, etc.

Between 1820 and 1891, lists of passengers were referred to as a customs passenger list. After 1891, the lists were referred to as immigration passenger lists. Immigration passenger lists usually contain more information than earlier customs passenger lists.

This Ancestry article will offer more guidance: https://www.ancestrycdn.com/aainstcommons/2013/researchAids/10-things-to-know-about-passenger-lists.pdf

See also:

https://www.archives.gov/research/immigration/overview

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/United_States_Immigration_Online_Genealogy_Records

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 24 00:28 BST (UK) »
I've found (on Ancestry) details of my ancestors on the Manifests of 'aliens' travelling by ship from Belfast/Liverpool/Eire to USA. For obvious reasons these are all one way records - from UK to USA.

I'm wondering though, are records available for 'ordinary' citizens travelling to and from USA? In other words, just ordinary passenger lists? If so, where?

Thanks.

Not entirely clear what you are after. Aliens appear on those manifests whether traveling one way or not.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 24 03:28 BST (UK) »
Aberdeen University has a database of passenger lists but I haven't investigated it so don't know if it will help.

url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01t7d/

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 May 24 18:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's not really important. I just thought I'd complete the picture a bit as I have details of only the outward bound journeys, with the individual and children listed as alians. I just though it would be nice to have records of the families journeys into the UK, by boat, as well as their outward journeys. Also, the husband is an American citizen and I would like to know if he returned to UK with the family as part of these visits.

I'll have a look at the suggested sites.