Author Topic: Death of Christopher Johnston, Nov 2, 1938 San Diego, California  (Read 133 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death of Christopher Johnston, Nov 2, 1938 San Diego, California
« on: Monday 27 May 24 09:37 BST (UK) »
When Jane Hetherington nee Johnston died in Cannamore, Stormont Co., Ontario in 1910, she stated that she had a brother Christopher living in California. Jane was the daughter of Archibald Johnston and Jane Reynolds.
I have found the death of a Christopher Johnston on Nov 2, 1938 in San Diego, California who was born in Canada (correct) and both parents born Ireland (correct) if he is Jane's brother. Can anyone find out more about this death and/or an obituary to verify if this is Jane's brother.
Thank you.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Christopher Johnston, Nov 2, 1938 San Diego, California
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 24 10:49 BST (UK) »
Have you found him on a US census to check if he was married?

That info would enable you to check for a marriage in either Canada or USA & if the info is available on the marriage cert - compare his parents names.

I'm not familiar with what info is on US death certs - do they show parents names?

How old was he when he died?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 24 11:04 BST (UK) »
Can't find a 1910 or 1930 US census entry for a Christopher Johnston b Canada

There is a 1920 entry for a Christopher Johnson b 1873 Canada but parents were b Germany & France
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 24 11:48 BST (UK) »
1900  Mission San Diego Cal.

Christopher J Johnston 55 born Canada parents Ireland  (born Sept. 1844) immigrated 1847  Mining Engineer
Susan M    born  Nov 1848.  married  23 years 2 children 1 living parents born Scotland
Christopher F   born Nov. 1878 Utah - father Ireland mother Scotland

1910 Mission San Diego  they now have a Fruit Farm

1920 same place  Lemon Orchard

San Diego Union  and Daily Bee dated 18 November 1928  (Genealogy Bank Newspapers)
C J Johnston  Mining Pioneer. EDITED  Died 2 November 1928. aged 88
Mr. Johnston was a Canadian subject, naturalized 23 December 1881 in Salt Lake City Utah.
Paraphrasing:  He had quite an illustrious career. 
It is 8 paragraphs long.

A photo of his grave is on Find A Grave.
His wife was Susan Mary Gowan.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:03 BST (UK) »
Ancestry

Marriage at age 35 to Susan Goram s/b Gowan age 27 on 5 May 1877 Cook County Illinois.

So you could apply for this certificate

1880 in Salt Lake City with son Christopher Frank age 1 and mother in law Jessie Gown age 63
Indexed as Johnson not Johnston

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 24 12:15 BST (UK) »
So should be in his 90's on 1938 death cert if it's him

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 24 18:14 BST (UK) »
HI Peggy,

Thanks for your message, pleased you found it.

Here is obit for Susan M Gowan/Johnston - died 1922 - which you may or may not already have.

The San Diego Sun
San Diego, California 
Fri, 3 Nov 1922
Page 22

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-san-diego-sun/148178161/

Mentions she is the Aunt of Christopher Johnston Gowan Pattingale.  (son of Viner Gowan and John Edmund Pattingale)

FIND A GRAVE

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/108157296/christopher-johnston-gowan

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 24 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your great information. Prior to this posting, even though I had looked extensively, the only confirmed information that Christopher was Jane’s brother was in her obituary in 1910 saying that Christopher lived in California at that time. Jane was born in 1844 in Crysler, Stormont County, Ontario, Canada.
I didn’t know Christopher’s date of birth, or if or when he married.
It would seem that I had some wrong information that there was a Christopher, who died November 2 in San Diego, had died in 1938 but it seems it was 1928.
When I tried to follow up on findagrave, to find this Christopher married to Susan Mary Gowan, I wasn’t having any luck. Turns out that findagrave has his death as 1926.
I have found Christopher and Susan in 1910 in Mission, San Diego county California and it says they have been married 33 years, had four children, but none were living. Further says that he was age 67 so born abt 1842 and emigrated in 1845. I would say that is impossible to be the correct Christopher, based on that information, since he would not have emigrated in 1845 at the age of two when the family was residing in Ontario at that time.
Another way to possibly find Christopher is by the obituary of his brother Thomas Henry Johnston,, who died January 10, 1913 in Oroville, Butte Co.,California or his brother Samuel Archibald Johnston,, who died February 15, 1924 in Modoc Co. California. Samuel is on findagrave under Samuel A. Johnstone, but it only names his wife Harriet Matilda nee Stewart and his son not his parents or siblings.
Thomas Henry’s wife was Anne Margaret Mills.
I have written to the owner of a private online tree which says that Christopher was born 1839 in Crysler,Stormont Co., Ontario and has parents Archibald Johnston and Jane Reynolds. That would be the correct location. The owner was online last week so he might see my message.
Thomas Henry is also on findagrave although it says he died in Oroville, Butte Co., California with burial in Cedarville, Modoc County, California. Findagrave names several siblings of Thomas’ but not Christopher.
Jane Johnstone nee Reynolds is also on findagrave and she died January 6, 1893 in Crysler. There is a long list of her children, but Christopher is not on it. I have to wonder if Archibald had a previous marriage. Archibald Johnstone is on Findagrave and he died March 30, 1868 with the same list of children, no Christopher.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 24 20:21 BST (UK) »
The Butte Co. library will do look ups in the Oroville paper.  https://www.buttecounty.net/600/Obituary-Newspaper-Article-Request