Author Topic: ANDERSONs of Ewelme  (Read 1836 times)

Offline artemis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ANDERSONs of Ewelme
« on: Monday 12 September 05 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm researching a Robert ANDERSON that moved from Oxfordshire to Scotland in the early to mid-1800s, before marriage (though I'm not yet sure whether he was a child or adult when moving).  So far the most likely one is the Robert ANDERSON that was christened in Ewelme on 3 Feb 1805 to John and Elizabeth (nee unknown) ANDERSON.

I've got a couple of questions.  First, is anyone on here researching this Oxford family and could tell me more about them or where to look to find more about them? 

Second, a two-parter:  What's Ewelme like?  And is there anything in particular that would cause a family or a young adult man to move from there to Fife, Scotland?  I know "my" Robert ANDERSON was a shoemaker, but I do not know whether he trained in England or Scotland.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
PHILP, WILSON, PEARSON, ANDERSON, HONEYMAN, DEAS, ELDER, NESS, SEATON/SETON/SETTON, & more - all centered around Fife, Scotland

Devon/Cornwall northern border: EVANS, BUSE, BOND, CORNISH, BRAY, & more

Midlands: ADAMS, HAWKES/HAWKS, GARDNER/GARDENER, & more

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSONs of Ewelme
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 05 18:46 BST (UK) »
Ewelme was in Berkshire until the counties were reorganized in the 70's.  Its a small village.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline artemis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 18:52 BST (UK) »
Ah!  Then I probably have the wrong person.  Oops.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still wondering if anyone knows of a specific reason a family or young man would move from Oxfordshire to Fife Scotland in the early 1800s.  Were there any industry links between the two or similar?
PHILP, WILSON, PEARSON, ANDERSON, HONEYMAN, DEAS, ELDER, NESS, SEATON/SETON/SETTON, & more - all centered around Fife, Scotland

Devon/Cornwall northern border: EVANS, BUSE, BOND, CORNISH, BRAY, & more

Midlands: ADAMS, HAWKES/HAWKS, GARDNER/GARDENER, & more

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hiya, I am rersearching Ewelme and the names below are the burial dates for the name Anderson at Ewelme St Marys.
As you can see Robert b 1805 died in 1827 and his parents 1829 and 1844

1827   Jul-10      Anderson   Robert   22      
1829   Oct-19      Anderson   John   67      
1844   Jun-10      Anderson   Elizabeth   79
--------------------------------------------------------------

As a reply to your question (Why would a person leave Ewelme and go to Scotland) in the 1830s after the Napolionic Wars there was not much work about, most of the farms had mechanical machines and a lot had gone out of business the majority of workers were Aggricultual Labourers, Also there were another 2 families of Bootmakers in ewelme The Arnotts and the Clarks.
both from about 1805.
Any more help needed please ask
Chrissy.....
Heath Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Berkshire