Author Topic: 1841 Margaret Gourlay  (Read 12261 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Margaret Gourlay
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 February 08 23:30 GMT (UK) »

Hello NorrieG,

Many thanks for your speedy response. I don't have a photograph of Margaret and Tom's gravestone at Bowhill Cemetery, more's the pity. If I remember correctly, it was black marble. I will be very interested to see exactly what the inscription on the gravestone has to say.

Old Tom was a fine old man, and I remember him taking me as a wee lad over the Craigs overlooking Auchterderran School round about 1940 and talking about his time in South Africa as a soldier in the Royal Horse Artillery.

He used to love his liquid refreshment at the Old Hoose at the bottom of Jamphlars Brae. Happy days indeed!

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 February 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom  I took the picture in 2003
that is one of my sad life tales, I take pictures of headstones in Fife cemeteries

this is the inscription

363   In memory of my Dad
                Thomas GOURLAY died 19.5.1943 age 68
   My sister Janet died in infancy
   Also my  nephew Thomas DAVIDSON
   Also my mother Margaret GOURLAY died
                17.7.196-? age 82

it looks like one of the Bowhill seagulls has just passed over,
let me know the year when Margaret Gourlay died please
so I can update my index

Norrie G

Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 February 08 02:00 GMT (UK) »

Hello NorrieG.,

Many thanks for your kindness in sending me the photograph of my Grandparents, that means a lot to me, believe me.

The gravestone was erected by my Uncle "Tommy" Gourlay, who is still alive and in his 90's.  He lost his wife Christine, (Chrissie) about a couple of years ago. He lives in Union Street, Cowdenbeath as do several other members of my family.

The reference to 'my nephew Thomas Davidson' must mean a child of Agnes Ferns, the daughter of Peter Cochrane Ferns who perished at No. 2 Pit, Bowhill in September, 1908 (Margaret's second husband). Agnes Ferns married a David (Dave) Davidson. Agnes had two brothers, Peter and John.

My Grandmother was actually born on the 10th July, 1877 at Coatbridge in Lanarkshire and she married Peter Cochrane Ferns 0n the 15th September, 1899 at Coatbridge. She was the daughter of John Forsyth and Agnes, Maiden Surname, Beveridge who married on 10th October, 1873 at Old Monkland (Coatbridge).

Agnes, the wife of John Forsyth died on the 19th April, 1930 at No. 3 Fifteenth Street, Bowhill, Cardenden and Old John Forsyth died on 27th December, 1932. They too are buried at Bowhill Cemetery and a photograph of their headstone contains quite a bit of information.

My Grandmother, Margaret's, Grandparents were John Forsyth and Margaret Buchanan. Her Grandfather only survived about three years of marriage. To the best of my knowledge, Margaret Buchanan's parents were John Buchanan and Margaret Burt, but that's where my information dries up.

Again, very many thanks for your kindness.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 February 08 11:45 GMT (UK) »
hi Norrie thanks for your reply although i don't believe that is the Margaret Gourlay i am searching for.I did find a Margaret in the 1851 census living at Port Brae Kirkcaldy with her mother Isabella (Margaret's daughter was named Isabella) but i believe the 1841 census for Kirkcaldy is missing.
thanks
Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 February 08 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom  you said
Agnes, the wife of John Forsyth died on the 19th April, 1930 at No. 3 Fifteenth Street, Bowhill, Cardenden and Old John Forsyth died on 27th December, 1932. They too are buried at Bowhill Cemetery and a photograph of their headstone contains quite a bit of information
this is the inscription and have attached a photograph, in case you don't have one.

153      Erected by John FORSYTH in memory of his wife
      Agnes BEVERIDGE who died 19.4.1930 age 73
      His granddaughter Jemesina Garr ROSS ( wee Ina)
      Died 7.11.1930 age 91/2 years
      Above John FORSYTH died 27.12.1932 age 84
      His grandson John FORSYTH ( Jack ) 7th Black Watch
      Died of wounds 18.4.1945 age 26
      Interred in Klagenfurt British Cemetery Austria
      His son John FORSYTH died 2.4.1957 age 72
      “ Jesus Lover of my soul “

Norrie G
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 February 08 22:34 GMT (UK) »

Hello NorrieG.,

The two photographs that you have kindly sent me are now taking pride of place in my album. This is what it's all about really, a visible connection to one's ancestors rather than just a mere entry.

Researchers on RootsChat can now see from the two photographs details about Margaret Buchanan Forsyth and her third husband, Thomas Gourlay, as well as details about her parents John Forsyth and his wife, Agnes Beveridge.

When one stops to consider things, it must have been a terrible thing for John Forsyth and his wife, Agnes, when their son-in-law, Peter Cochrane Ferns died in such a horrific way down No. 2 Pit at Bowhill, Auchterderran in September, 1908. Even 20 years down the track, when they were both in their 70's, they must have thought, what if the family had remained in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. That's life, I suppose - what if!

I sometimes wonder why my records of the Forsyth's come to an abrupt end with John Forsyth, the father of John Forsyth buried at Bowhill. AS I have already mentioned, he died within 3 years of his marriage in February, 1849 to Margaret Buchanan. Although I know that Margaret Buchanan died in Coatbridge after having married again to a James Blair, I have no idea where her first husband, John Forsyth was laid to rest, although I would suspect that it was at Old Monkland, (Coatbridge).

When I skim through my records, it really is a tragic story generation after generation, but isn't it all brought to life when you see those headstone inscriptions?

Today I start my work on the Burt's although I spent a bit of time in preparation yesterday. I like to think that other researchers are going to see an interesting history of the family unfold, and see some truly amazing connections to members of their own ancestors.

Again, very many thanks, and I really hope that the work that I have been engaged in will assist you just as much as it has other people out there. Although it's very tiring, I try to spend several hours a day on it, giving the foundation blocks for people to work on.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline wendyladd17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 November 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Just a little info to add:   David Goulay age 30, weaver and Elizabeth (Page) Gourlay are on the 8141 census living at High Street, Linkton.   They also had a daughter Margaret age 2.

Elizabeth Page was the daughter of Alexander Page and Janet Kilgour married Falkland 11 May 1800.

My guess is that David was related your Gourlay.