Author Topic: Arthur PRIOR in 1901 - I've lost him!  (Read 859 times)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Arthur PRIOR in 1901 - I've lost him!
« on: Monday 12 September 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'd appreciate any help I can get from you census search gurus out there.  I've lost my great-grandfather Arthur Henry PRIOR after the 1891 census.  He did emigrate to Canada - married here in 1908, but I don't know when he came.  I have searched the 1901 Canadian census to no avail, and now I can't find him in England either.  Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will be able to find him.  I have been using the temporary free 1901 search on Ancestry, although I have already noticed several mistakes for  other members of the family, so maybe it is just some bizarre transcription problem.  Here are the particulars:

Arthur Henry PRIOR b. 1878 in Drayton, Oxfordshire, although most of his siblings were baptised in Coscate Hagbourne.

In 1881 living with parents George and Susanna (Susan), half-sister Louisa Edwards and brother Frank at Lower Stream, East & West Hagbourne, Berks.

In 1891 parents and siblings are in Blewbury (I think, don't have it in front of me), Arthur is living with grandparents Henry and Jane Prior (I think in East Hagbourne). 

In 1901 parents and some siblings still in Blewbury.  Grandparents Henry and Jane with uncles Richard Prior and Charles Prior with them are in E. Hagbourne.  Arthur's Uncle William Prior and Aunt Emily also in E. Hagbourne.  Uncle Francis Prior and Aunt Jane in Appleford.  Uncle Joseph Pryor (sic) and family are in Benson, Oxford.  Arthur's brothers Frank and Philip are soldiers (living in different barracks). But Arthur has vanished!

I have searched for Priors born in Drayton, Priors born in Hagbourne, different spellings of Priors, looked for him as Henry (middle name) - and no luck. 

I will also have to go back and check the Canadian again.  Maybe he was on a boat on his way here at the time of the census, and so got missed!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Martha

Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur PRIOR in 1901 - I've lost him!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 05 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi - is it possible he is overseas with the army? - South Africa would be favourite at about that time I think

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur PRIOR in 1901 - I've lost him!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your quick reply!  The military is a good guess, given that 2 of his brothers were also soldiers.  I had not actually considered that possibility because he enlisted in the Canadian forces in 1915 - I didn't think he would have been in both.  I went back and checked his attestation papers from 1915 and it does say that he has no previous military experience.  (Although I guess he could have been lying!)

I'll keep it in mind as a possibility...

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)