Author Topic: Sellwood Greenough  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sellwood Greenough
« on: Tuesday 13 September 05 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a big gap in my 20th century tree and there is now no one left in my family to ask.  Can anyone advise as to how I might fill this gap, bearing in mind the privacy of individuals which hampers viewing of primary records?
The story is that in 1918 my Father, Albert Edward Sellwood, was born in Burghfield, the youngest son of Henry (Harry) Sellwood, farm labourer,  and Gertrude Austin.  Some time between than and 1933 I have lost them.
I know that in 1933 my aunt Ada Sellwood was in Little Wittenham with my father, where my cousin Walter was born and died in 1936, and then on to Worton Cassington and Ducklington where I was born.  In between time my father's sister Ivy got married to a George Greenough, but where and when I have no idea. I think, from what I was told as a youngster that it would have been about 1940.   Finding her marriage might help pinpoint where my Sellwoods were at that time, but where to look?  They were an extremely mobile family, never in one place much longer than a few years.   My father's elder brother was brought up by his uncle Walter Sellwood in the Shiplake/Dunsden area, effectively causing a life long split amongst the siblings, but I am at a loss to know where to look for my grandparents and aunts, Ivy, Ada,  and Alma  Sellwood between 1918 and 1933.
Help
Vicki

Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sellwood Greenough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

the only way i can think of is to go to your local record office and look at the GRO references. Fortunatley the surname isn't too common (i'm a smith and have spent hours in front of microfiche readers!), you know the first names of the sisters, and you have a 15 year time frame.

Its a slow and tiresome way of looking for what you want but as you say they moved around alot its all i can suggest i'm afraid.

Just start in 1918 and make your way through the years as your time (and patience) allows.

Regards

Paula
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sellwood Greenough
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Paula,
I think that is what I am going to have to do.
Regards
Vicki
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;