Author Topic: irvine vennel public school  (Read 1682 times)

Offline slogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
irvine vennel public school
« on: Tuesday 13 September 05 13:34 BST (UK) »
On my grandmothers wedding cert she gave place of residence as Irvine Vennel Kilmaurs.

Although it does not affect my general geno family search i was curious as to the location of this and find the social history aspect of geno the most fascinating bit plus trying 2 find out more about their lives.

I then stumbled across the fact that there was a public school in Irvine  ( i think) called Irvine Vennel so maybe this is the place where she worked at the time of her marriage? Although her occupation is listed farm servant.

To ask maybe a foolish question, would a public school have a small holding to feed the boarders?

Anyone know if this public school is still in existence and if not what the building is today?

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: irvine vennel public school
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 16:20 BST (UK) »
Vennel is a Scots word meaning narrow street or passage. The address may then have been Irvine Street, Kilmaurs. Does this help? Have a look at the AyrshireRoots website. There is a list of towns you can select from, and you may find something there.
Regards
CuriousDiana

Offline slogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanx for your help Diana,
I  became aware of that connection via the root of the word vennel .. (narrow passage btwn 2 gable ends) and found another  Irvine vennel during my googling and thought aha! .. only 2 be disappointed as that turned out 2 be an art gallery in irvine.

Will look at Irvine Street but it could it be that the public school was geographically nearer Kilmaurs? I suppose my slight inverted snobbery would quite like it 2 be the public school .. lol .. but can`t see the farm servant connection.

While on the subject of the origin of words (which i find fascinating) will we eventually have a new verb added to the oxford eg " googling"?

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 10:52 BST (UK) »
If you really feel so strongly about the school, why not write to the principal and ask about the school's history? You could be lucky!  There is only one school in Kilmaurs, a primary school, and, yes, it is close to the centre. Address is 15 Sunnyside, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire KA3 2RY
Best of luck
CuriousDiana