Author Topic: Tracing family pre 1838  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Tracing family pre 1838
« on: Thursday 15 September 05 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to trace some ancesters with the Surname Herbert.  I know Thomas Herbert turned up in Seaford around 1800 (that's when he married).  He then moved to London with at least 1 of his sons circa. 1837.

I believe his occupation was either Journalist or Newspaper Editor.

Are there any online searchable databases that might have information for the period 1800-1837?  Such as taxes, landowners,wills etc etc.  I have tried a2a but the info it gives is limited.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anna

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing family pre 1838
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 05 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Pre 1858 wills are online at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
   They also have various other records.  The others you mention vary very much from county to county.  If you look at the top of the rootschat board it always gives links to online sites for that particular county.   Try contacting Lewes Record Office to see what they have for Seaford.   Have you got Thomas in 1841?    As his death is post 1837 you should be able to find that too.
Andrea

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 05 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sillgen,

Sorry I haven't answered earlier, I must of missed your reply.

Thomas Herbert is a bit on the elusive side.  According to his marriage reg. he was a mariner (many thanks again to Chris1066 for finding that out for me).  Apart from his marriage and children cht. being on the IGI I have found no other evidence of him (or his children) ever living in Seaford.  There dosen't seem to be any other Herberts' in that area apart from him.

I have checked the PCC Wills, a2a, newspapers held at the British Library etc (only the names of the papers are listed not the editors).  I did however, find  on the a2a Thomas Herbert circa 1802 who was a butcher in seaford.  The Seaford Museum were most helpful, but unable to help me further.

I can imagine him going from a mariner to a journalist but not a butcher inbetween!!

Any ideas??

thanks  Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 05 10:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry forgot to add that I cant find any info on him post 1816 (that was when my ggg grandfather was born).  I was told by another researcher that he moved to London with Robert but there is no hard evidence of this.

Anna