Author Topic: Henry Johnston, Chelsea.  (Read 2288 times)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
Henry Johnston, Chelsea.
« on: Thursday 15 September 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Henry JOHNSTON. 1860-1938. Died in St Lukes Hospital, Sydney St. Chelsea. Does anyone know his likely burial place? He lived at 30 Tadena St, Chelsea.
Henry served as a musician in the Scots Guards until 1894. According to 1901 Census his occupation was Musician (Brass). Any ideas where I should make inquiries as to his Musical Career?
Bob.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Johnston, Chelsea.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Bob,

I am sorry you have not had any replies on info for your Henry Johnston.

As you wish to find info on his Army career as a musician,, have you thought of contacting the Kneller School of Music, the home of the Royal Military Music, he may well have been trained there.

www.army.mod.uk/schoolarmymusic/index

Also there is a website for the Band of the Scots Guards, with a contact link, they may well have an Archive dept that could possibly have a record of past members of the band.

www,army.mod.uk/bands/scots_guards.

Henry would have been in receipt of an Army Pension, this would have been paid thro' the Royal Chelsea Hospital so an enquiry there might help to track down his burial place,  also an enquiry the City of Westminster Archives as to the possible burial place for someone who died in the Chelsea area in 1938 might be worthwhile.

City of Westminster Archives,
10, St. Ann's Place,
London
SW1P  2XR

Good luck with your search

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline Greenonions

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
This is not relevant to your question but might be usefull anyway.
Found this Henry Johnston in the 1871 census.

Address: Royal Military Asylums, for the children of soldiers of the regular army,
Kings Road, Chelsea

Henry Johnston, 10,  Berks Windsor

Good luck
Bob
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Challis Essex & London: Owers Essex: Marson London: Farrow London:
Oliver London & Oxford: Abbott Essex & Edmonton: Bartholomew Islington & Highgate

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Bob,

I am sorry you have not had any replies on info for your Henry Johnston.

As you wish to find info on his Army career as a musician,, have you thought of contacting the Kneller School of Music, the home of the Royal Military Music, he may well have been trained there.

www.army.mod.uk/schoolarmymusic/index

Also there is a website for the Band of the Scots Guards, with a contact link, they may well have an Archive dept that could possibly have a record of past members of the band.

www,army.mod.uk/bands/scots_guards.

Henry would have been in receipt of an Army Pension, this would have been paid thro' the Royal Chelsea Hospital so an enquiry there might help to track down his burial place,  also an enquiry the City of Westminster Archives as to the possible burial place for someone who died in the Chelsea area in 1938 might be worthwhile.

City of Westminster Archives,
10, St. Ann's Place,
London
SW1P  2XR

Good luck with your search

Meliora
Hello Meliora,
Many thanks for your reply.
I did try Kneller Hall. Other member of the Family attended there, but not Henry.
He was at Royal Military Asylums, for the children of soldiers of the regular army,
Kings Road, Chelsea in the 1871 Census. Probably learnt his music there.
I hadn't thought of the pension angle. In his Service Papers he was discharged at own request in 1894, after 18 years Service. I'll give that a go.
I'll also write to the City of Westminster's archive.
Regards,
Bob.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 05 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
This is not relevant to your question but might be usefull anyway.
Found this Henry Johnston in the 1871 census.

Address: Royal Military Asylums, for the children of soldiers of the regular army,
Kings Road, Chelsea

Henry Johnston, 10,  Berks Windsor

Good luck
Bob
Hi Bob,
Thanks for that. Had found him. Don't know much about the Asylum, but imagine they would have taught the boys a trade. Probably learnt his music there.
Regards,
Bob.

Offline Meliora

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Bob,

Try these 2 websites

www.rma-searcher.co.uk

This shows admissions to the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea, 1805 - 1880,  if you click on IDL-LYW & scoll down to item M11, this will show Henry Johnston age 6 entered the school 02/02/67 was discharged14/12/75, Scots Fusilier Guards.

viewfinder.englishheritage.org.uk/search/detail.asp?

This will show a photo of the front of the school with the boys in uniform, which can be purchased.

Keep digging,

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 05 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Bob,

Try these 2 websites

www.rma-searcher.co.uk

This shows admissions to the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea, 1805 - 1880,  if you click on IDL-LYW & scoll down to item M11, this will show Henry Johnston age 6 entered the school 02/02/67 was discharged14/12/75, Scots Fusilier Guards.

viewfinder.englishheritage.org.uk/search/detail.asp?

This will show a photo of the front of the school with the boys in uniform, which can be purchased.

Keep digging,

Meliora
Hi Meliora,
Thanks very much for that. I've hit a snag at the moment. When I try to open the name index, although it says 'done', all I get is a blank page. I am waiting for my 'computer expert' to sort it for me. I'm not exactly computer literate.
Also can you confirm the second address. Tried it but address rejected.
Hopefully all will be fixed soon.
Regards,
Bob.

Offline Meliora

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Bob,

Sorry you are having trouble with the 2 websites I gave you.  I have checked the
www.rma-searcher.co.uk 
& it was OK.
The english heritage one I noticed I left a hyphen out between english & heritage, also I put a comma instead of a stop between viewfinder & english, sorry for this.

http://viewfinder.english-hertage.org.uk/search/detail.asp?

Try again, I hope it works OK.

regards,
Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 November 05 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Meliora,
Still no joy. I must have serious problems. Will get it fixed in the next couple of days. Sorry for the trouble.
Bob